Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Jimmy

mom2jonkris
06-16-2007, 06:45 AM
I have a 97 Jimmy. The other night the check engine light came on while driving home. When I pulled into my driveway (there's a little hill to go up) it seemed like it wanted to stall. I put the gas pedal to the floor and it only jerked me up a little in the driveway. Turned off the truck and told my husband. He took a look at it and said it idles fine, but there is a loss of power when put in drive.
I had the truck sitting for a year with just being started the odd time, it was never driven. Hubby checked the tranny fluid and added more because it was bone dry. But the truck still won't run.
Anyone have any ideas what the problem is?

Blue Bowtie
06-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Before moving it further, get the vehicle on level ground, get the engine and transmission to normal operating temperature, and verify the proper transmission oil level. Check the level with the engine idling.

Once the transmission is properly filled, scan the PCM for the stored error code(s). If you do not have a scanner, you may find that many auto parts stores in your area will scan code for you, free of charge. (This service" is offered at many Advance/Kragen, Auto Zone, Canadian Tire, O'Reilly, and many other franchised auto parts stores.) If you take advantage of this service, make sure you make a note of the actual code NUMBERS, and not simply the generic description of the error code. The shear number of possible error codes makes it necessary have the actual code number to be able to diagnose your problem(s) long-distance.

If you have a data scanner, just plug it in, turn on the ignition, and wait for it to display the error codes. We'll wait...

Lacking that information, and given only the described symptoms, it is nearly impossible to narrow the list of potential problems. Currently, that list could be anything from random misfire, lean mixture, or EGR fault, to improper purge flow, torque converter clutch solenoid, or lean mixture. It's just too vague to get much closer.

The PCM in your vehicle has some robust diagnostic routines and tools, and you might as well take advantage of them to help isolate the problem. Besides, it's free (unless you count what seems like the $218/gallon for fuel to drive there and back).

Add your comment to this topic!