Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Packing models???

white97ex
06-15-2007, 01:15 AM
Alright. It seems as though I'm going to have to move. I need to pack up all of my models, they could be seeing an extended stay in storage until I can afford a place of my own. Here is what I was thinking. No more than one or two models to a box. If they don't have any mirror or anything that could fall off, wrap them in news paper and use lightly wadded paper to pack them in the box. As for the ones with mirrors and stuff, how should i pack these to ensure minimal breakage? I had the idea of using that stuffed animal filling that you can buy at wal mart. Anything inexpensive I can use? Anyone had experience doing this? I know its been discussed a few times, but to the best of my memory I think it was for shipping purposes

Jaymes
06-15-2007, 02:58 AM
I usually store built models in the model boxes since I don't have room. You can safely put 2 in say a Tamiya Supra box. This is a good method if you're very careful with the boxes. Maybe you can throw some cotton in there so they don't move around.

tigeraid
06-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Shipping to customers, I've ALMOST got this down to a science, though they occasionally still lose a mirror or one wheel that needs to be glued back on. I wrap them loosely in kleenex, lots of kleenex and then follow that with a few pieces of paper towel which I wrap around and tape... then they go in the original kit box which is stuffed with more balled up kleenex and/or some newspaper or packing peanuts. Then I put that box into a bigger box full of packing, but you could skip this step possibly. If you have enough empty model kit boxes you could stack em all together and probably fit a bunch of them in one big box.

Gonna be able to finish that hood project before you move? No big deal if it's delayed, just want to know...

MPWR
06-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Kleenex and cotton and polyfill????

Come on guys, this isn't hard. There are plenty materials ready made for packing things. Ever mail order anything?

First, ditch the model boxes- they're utterly worthless for this purpose, as they offer absolutely no crush protection.

Go to any grocery store, and get a set of reusable/disposable food containers. There are tall, longish sizes made that are perfect for individual 1/24 cars. Get some bubble wrap (small bubbles), in rolls of 4 to 6 inches wide. Carefully wrap the model with it, and place it in the food box so that it's static and doesn't contact the container sides (put some in so the front and back bumpers are protected also). Put the lid on it, and wrap it with a rubber band or two to ensure the lid stays in place. An enclosed container offers alot of protection- and if a mirror gets knocked off it will still be in the container with the model.

You can put a half dozen or more models packed like this in a book box (get for free used from any book store). Put in a couple inches of styrofoam peanuts, put in some model containers, more peanuts, more containers, etc. Tape up the box properly with packing tape, and you could probably sit on it and not damage anything.

Gridgirl
06-15-2007, 10:56 AM
You can put a half dozen or more models packed like this in a book box (get for free used from any book store). Put in a couple inches of styrofoam peanuts, put in some model containers, more peanuts, more containers, etc. Tape up the box properly with packing tape, and you could probably sit on it and not damage anything.

Or - particularly for storage, you could put them in Rubbermaid storage bins (which can usually be found on sale for pretty good prices) and definitely be able to sit on them (packing is exhausting) - or stack them to the ceiling.

If you want "newspaper" definitely get unprinted newsprint - don't just use whatever free newspapers you can get your hands on. The black smudges on your hands after reading the paper should be indicative of why you don't want it anywhere near your paint jobs.

PS - You don't want to use printed newspapers for packing much of anything, that ink comes off of the paper, but it doesn't seem to come off of anything else :wink:

Good luck with the finding a place and moving! I hope it all goes well for you :grinyes:

willimo
06-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Go to any grocery store, and get a set of reusable/disposable food containers. There are tall, longish sizes made that are perfect for individual 1/24 cars. Get some bubble wrap...

:1:

This is essentially how I mailed a couple of my models from Baton Rouge to Atlanta and back, and this is also how I moved my models from Baton Rouge to Boston and then moved them again from Boston to Albuquerque. With the route I took, that's about 5,500 miles. Yeah, you'll lose 2-3 mirrors, but there's no avoiding that.

tigeraid
06-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Kleenex and cotton and polyfill????

First, ditch the model boxes- they're utterly worthless for this purpose, as they offer absolutely no crush protection.

I use them because they're then placed into a larger, stronger box--nothing gets close enough to the model box to crush it. I have yet to have a model box show up with even a dent. Not that your tupperware idea is bad, if he IS transporting them JUST in the smaller boxes, as opposed to within a bigger box.

I also use kleenex when wrapping the car itself because it's soft--bubble wrap really isn't, and can potentially smudge the paint, rub decals or small detail paint off, bare metal foil (if it's not under clearcoat), etc etc... If I have bubble wrap handy, I use it to fill the model box AROUND the car's wrapping.

Just my :2cents: , it's been pretty successful...

freakray
06-15-2007, 05:12 PM
and can potentially smudge the paint

That part right there has got me curious as heck, how do you 'smudge' paint which is completely cured?

tigeraid
06-15-2007, 06:21 PM
wrong word maybe.... blemished? Take a piece of somewhat tacky plastic, like maybe a plastic bag, place it over your finger, and rub the hood of a model car... you'll see blemishes, or smudges, or whatever you want to call it show up. Maybe a byproduct of the plastic? Either way, I noticed it when I wrapped one of my own models in the pink bubble wrap you can buy at the post office... if buffed out okay with some rubbing with a soft cloth, but it's still a bit of a pain.

MidMazar
06-16-2007, 12:29 AM
That part right there has got me curious as heck, how do you 'smudge' paint which is completely cured?

I've seen it happen, usaually that happens when the newpaper gets wet, i even manage to get ink on my fingers when reading newpapers.

What i managed to do is use rubbermaid bins and get a thin sheet of styrofoam for the whole bottom. Models then get put inside and toothpicks stuck around the model so it doesn't move. Keeping the bin upright is your only option with this idea, but i managed not breaking mirrors.

white97ex
06-16-2007, 12:48 AM
thanks for the tips guys. John, pm'd you

builderweave
06-17-2007, 05:57 PM
I just packed a few built cars and moved myself. What I did is use my old single car clear display cases filled with cotton balls. I filled the case about half way then put the model in, cover the model with more cotton balls, put on the base and taped it shut. No broken models!

Add your comment to this topic!