Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Having trouble clearing P0401 code on a 98 Amigo

jaybrock
06-14-2007, 06:08 PM
I have become frustrated trying to relieve the EGR low flow problem. This site has been most informative in offering info on how to clean the EGR valve and the port. I have tried everything suggested and continue to get the check engine light P0401 code.

I have repalced the EGR valve after extensively cleaning the old EGR valve and the vaccuum port. I have heard mention of a tube. Yet I am unable to find it. The EGR valve is located behind the head at the firewall. It bolts to a flange that bolts to the engine. I have plugged the exaust port and sprayed liberal amounts of carb cleaner into the vaccuum port with the engine running. I know the cleaner is going in because the engine will stall if I do not increase the RPM.

The engine runs like a sewing machine. Smooth and quiet. It uses very little oil and I've replace the plugs and wires as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jay

jaybrock
06-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Update:
I decided to try and clean the system once again. This time I purchased a piece of vaccuum hose tha slipped over the spray tube from the carb cleaner. I stuck the hose directly into the vac. port of the egr system, raised the engine idle and began spraying. The engine would begin to stall, and I would stop spraying untill the engine revived. I did this untill the can was gone. Problem solved.

Add your comment to this topic!