Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

help needed quick-96 sunfire!!

downeastracing
06-13-2007, 12:34 PM
I own a towing company, and a few months back I was asked to pick up this abandoned car. It had been sitting on the owners property for 2 or 3 year up to that point. The window had been smashed out and the interior was completely ruined. Snow and rain for a few years doesnt do good for that. We applied for title, and just recieved. Last night we made the decision to strip it out and build a racecar. I've researched the Passlock 1 security system this car has and learned alot, all but either bypassing or completely getting rid of the system. We have a screw driver to turn the car over and it starts for 2 or 3 seconds and dies and the theft system light turns on. IT's quite fustrating. i would like to have the car ready if this is at all possible. If we have to we can make it a push button start. Ive contacted many people in my area, but i live in maine and know one has a clue:-P. Well thanks fer the time guys.

curtis73
06-14-2007, 09:54 PM
There are a few ways to get around it. The passlock key has a resistor of a specific value that the computer recognizes. You can find that resistance with a rheostat and then buy a resistor of that value and solder it in permanently which fools the computer. You can also have the computer reflashed to omit that circuit like I did. My keys were wearing out and they wouldn't make contact inside the tumbler anymore. Half the time I couldn't start it at all. I had it programmed out and its not an issue anymore. Give Bryan Herter a call at PCMforless.com and he can do it for you (or direct you to someone who can)

Add your comment to this topic!