Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Houston Modelers Unite!!!

lechatnoir82
06-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Do you live in Houston? Do you like to build models? Then contribute to this thread!

I figure this may be a good way to find out about deals on kits and/or supplies around the city, or to find out about meets, contests, whatever.

Anyway fellow Houstonions, let me know what you think about this thread.

superfuzz
06-15-2007, 03:50 AM
i'm in houston(actually from germany)

living in clear lake right now....bay area and space center

klutz_100
06-15-2007, 04:05 AM
Houston, this is Apollo 13....I think we have a problem.... :)

(couldn't resist that, sorry ;))

auw12
06-15-2007, 05:35 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :runaround:

gionc
06-15-2007, 07:05 AM

wrong: your ship is pollo13 ;) :D :evillol:

D_LaMz
06-15-2007, 11:13 PM
here

stairweitoheaven
06-16-2007, 12:25 AM
i am in houston as well!!!!

stairweitoheaven
06-16-2007, 12:26 AM
the hobby lobby near 610 east has good deals from time to time. like 25% off the models!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gtipwr
06-18-2007, 12:02 PM
North Sider right now. Used to live by the Galleria. I am currently working In Clear Lake Just around the corner from NASA. Looking to move down here within the next few months. My boss and I are both modelers. He does a lot of figure work these days but is an excellent car modeler. I have done the club thing over the years around here but found it really didn't do it for me. The club is called H.A.M.S. They meet somewhere near I-10 and downtown I think.

drnitrus
06-19-2007, 07:35 AM
Im in NJ right now but took a visit to Sugarland and Missouri City early this year. Planning to take another trip out there soon. We've been giving thought to move out there by next year.

guysmilie
06-20-2007, 07:23 AM
Here... well not exactly in Houston, I live out in West Columbia, but commute to houston every day for work, 60 miles one way:screwy::banghead::disappoin

D_LaMz
06-21-2007, 12:34 AM
the hobby lobby near 610 east has good deals from time to time. like 25% off the models!!!!!!!!!!!!!

back then it used to be 1/2 :(

turbo_b00st
06-21-2007, 12:52 PM
where are some good model shops around the houston area? i might be visiting there around the 4th of july from the neighboring state of louisiana...

hirofkd
06-21-2007, 02:52 PM
The best hobby store in town, Hobby Island, closed early this year, so there isn't much left in Houston. I can get scratchbuilding supplies from Miniature Train Stores, but when it comes to Tamiya, Alclad, PE and detail parts, Houston isn't really a good place to shop.

Sometimes I go to M&M Hobby Center, but it's more like an R/C and diecast store with some model kits and supplies.

There's a Hobby Town in Sugar Land (@ HWY6 and W. Airport Blvd), and last I went there, it had a pretty good stock of Tamiya paints, but not for products like Model Car Garage or Scale Motorsports' aftermarketstuff, like Hobby Island carried.

>>D_LaMz
40% Internet Coupon is available (almost) every other week. That's not so bad.

stairweitoheaven
06-21-2007, 06:19 PM
hirfkd i could use some 40% coupons mind gimme a link? thanks!

D_LaMz
06-21-2007, 09:00 PM
The best hobby store in town, Hobby Island, closed early this year

What do you mean by closed early? Like are they closed forever? :( That was the best place to get stuff.

turbo_b00st
06-21-2007, 09:25 PM
ok. i might stop by there when im in town, it is a plus that my uncle lives near sugarland.

thx

69*Goat
06-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Also a Houstonian here....

Actually..... Spring, North Houston. I will agree with hirofkd, there are no good shops here anymore. I am a regular at Larry's, only because John orders anything I need, and he gives me a discount. Hobby Town In the Woodliands is Ok, but they charge full retail. I have been an aircraft builder, but I am currently an F1, Rally Car, Lemans series builder. I am ashamed to admit it, but I have more kits started, than completed. I chaulk it up to adult ADHD, go figure. You would think that they would make a drug for that. Maybe some of the other good Houston Modelers will chime in here, like Alex Hague, and Mark Havican.

RW

drnitrus
06-22-2007, 08:26 AM
when i was over there i drove by the sugar land hobby shop, but i didnt get a chance to stop in. im hoping to go back over there next month as well

jmwallac
06-22-2007, 05:48 PM
back then it used to be 1/2 :(

You can still get the coupons online for 40% off any item. Not quite 50% but a good deal to be sure.

Plus you can use more than 1 at a time now! (At least in WI)

stairweitoheaven
06-24-2007, 04:58 PM
just wondering, is there any place i can find gundam models in Houston? Hobby lobby used to have lots of them, but all of them are gone now... =(

D_LaMz
06-24-2007, 11:50 PM
just wondering, is there any place i can find gundam models in Houston? Hobby lobby used to have lots of them, but all of them are gone now... =(

check Asian shops

coolaznkid
06-28-2007, 04:18 PM
I R here. lol. Houston needs better shopss!!!

guysmilie
06-29-2007, 08:36 PM
The best hobby store in town, Hobby Island, closed early this year, so there isn't much left in Houston. I can get scratchbuilding supplies from Miniature Train Stores, but when it comes to Tamiya, Alclad, PE and detail parts, Houston isn't really a good place to shop.

Sometimes I go to M&M Hobby Center, but it's more like an R/C and diecast store with some model kits and supplies.

There's a Hobby Town in Sugar Land (@ HWY6 and W. Airport Blvd), and last I went there, it had a pretty good stock of Tamiya paints, but not for products like Model Car Garage or Scale Motorsports' aftermarketstuff, like Hobby Island carried.

>>D_LaMz
40% Internet Coupon is available (almost) every other week. That's not so bad.Is that the one in the Krogers shopping center? If so, they closed earlier this year:frown::frown:, he sells exclusivly on evilbay now.

Add your comment to this topic!