reverse band on transmission

sreilly77
06-12-2007, 07:02 PM
on my 98 grand cherokee laredo 4.0L the band for the reverse gear needs an adjustment. it is taking a little long for the jeep to shift into reverse from any gear. i found the two adjustments for the forward gear and the reverse gear but i do not know which one is which. has anyone done a band adjustment before and knows which adjuster is which or is there anyone who has a diagram? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

dksob81
06-12-2007, 08:51 PM
the bad adjustments ar pretty simple, the rear band is int he tranny pan, you will have to remove the pan to get to it, the front band is on the driver side of the transmission, you will need to use a 5/16" 8 point (not 6 point or 12 point) socket to adjust the bands.

front band adjustment:
- loosen front band adjuster locknut and back off 3-5 turns (be sure adjuster screw turns freely in case).
- tighten band adjuster screw to 72 in-lbs (6 ft-lbs)
- Then back off adjuster screw 3-5/8 turns (42RE) or 2-1/4 turns (44RE)
- hold adjuster screw and tighten locknut to 30 ft-lbs.

Rear Band adjustment:
- Loosen band adjuster screw locknut and backoff 5-6 turns (be sure screw turns freely in case).
- tighten adjuster screw 72 in-lbs (6 ft-lbs).
- then backoff adjusting screw 4 turns.
- hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 25 ft-lbs.

Since you already have the pan off you might as well replace the tranny filter as well.

NOTE: The reason why you will need to use an 8 point, instead of a 6 or 12 point, is because the adjuster screw is SQUARE (not HEX) and only an 8 point socket will fit.

sreilly77
06-13-2007, 12:20 AM
ok thanks a lot. seems simple enough. i will let you know how i make out.

rattler02
08-08-2007, 08:50 AM
the bad adjustments ar pretty simple, the rear band is int he tranny pan, you will have to remove the pan to get to it, the front band is on the driver side of the transmission, you will need to use a 5/16" 8 point (not 6 point or 12 point) socket to adjust the bands.

front band adjustment:
- loosen front band adjuster locknut and back off 3-5 turns (be sure adjuster screw turns freely in case).
- tighten band adjuster screw to 72 in-lbs (6 ft-lbs)
- Then back off adjuster screw 3-5/8 turns (42RE) or 2-1/4 turns (44RE)
- hold adjuster screw and tighten locknut to 30 ft-lbs.

Rear Band adjustment:
- Loosen band adjuster screw locknut and backoff 5-6 turns (be sure screw turns freely in case).
- tighten adjuster screw 72 in-lbs (6 ft-lbs).
- then backoff adjusting screw 4 turns.
- hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 25 ft-lbs.

Since you already have the pan off you might as well replace the tranny filter as well.

NOTE: The reason why you will need to use an 8 point, instead of a 6 or 12 point, is because the adjuster screw is SQUARE (not HEX) and only an 8 point socket will fit.

I wish I had read this last week, before I spent a half hour trying to find what da** socket would fit that square adjuster :runaround: :banghead:

STICKY vote

Add your comment to this topic!