Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Check Engine Light -- P0456

manlystanley
06-12-2007, 06:16 PM
My 2002 Grand Voyager (3.3L) has just today started to give me the DTC of P0456 (Evaporative emission system leak (very small leak)). The van runs good, and the only thing I've done to it recently is that a few days ago I changed the air filter.

From what I've read this error is usually caused by a vacuum leak in the fuel system. So I've checked for:

A.) Loose vacuum hoses that go to the fuel system.
B.) Loose gas cap.
C.) Crack in the gas tank refill neck.

So far no luck. Also, what is strange is that I try to clear the "check engine light" with my handheld and my handheld gives me an error that says: "Clear attempt failed".

So a couple of questions:

1.) Can you guys think of anything else to check?
2.) When you guys use *your* handheld and try to clear a Check Engine Light that immediately comes back--does *your* handheld give the same error? Or, is it possible that it's a bad PCM?

Thanks,
Stan

manlystanley
06-13-2007, 05:47 AM
Well, I disconnected the battery and this reset the DTC and the CE didn't turn back on. Also, my handheld still fails when trying to do a reset of the CE. (But the reset function works on all my other vehicles). I'm going to call up the manufacturer today to see what they say.

Concerning the P0456 code, I'll just wait and see what happens next with it. The van runs great with or without the CE light on.

Best Regards,
Stan

hexed775
09-29-2007, 12:27 PM
I just got the same code today on 2002 Grand Caravan 3.3L. I will try what you did to fix.

just a Head's up, I learned this...to clear code, have Key on Engine off. Do not have the engine running. that's how my van likes it I guess...yours might too.

gbuskirk
04-25-2009, 08:39 AM
I have this code as well - same vehicle, same year. Here is what I have learned through some research, trial and error.

P0456 is a small evaporative emissions leak. Since 1970 systems are designed to not vent gasoline fumes into the atmosphere. This code indicates a failure of this system that might pollute the atmosphere. The code is thrown after a test of the fuel system is run. The test puts a pressure in the system (positive pressure I guess, but not sure), and detects over time if the system is sealed by checking if the pressure is maintained. A code scanner such as the ScanGauge II can clear this code, but the key must be in the "accessory" position (engine not running). The test will rerun periodically (about every 2 days) and it will throw the code again, until you fix it. My friend says there are flags that a code scanner can read that say that the code has been cleared but the test has not yet been run again. State emissions tests will not pass a vehicle in this condition.

RIP
04-25-2009, 12:17 PM
You've opened a two year old post. Best to open a new thread to get more exposure. A loose gas cap or bad cap seal will generate a P0456 code. Inspect vacuum lines especially the elbows leading to and from the leak detect pump underneath near the engine craddle the EVAP canister and purge valve. A shop will connect a smoke machine and look for smoke escaping from the system. http://www.obd-codes.com/p0456

autotech234
05-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I would not worry to much at this point. just make sure the cap is on tight and reset the light. If the light comes back after a few weeks then you will have to find out were it is leaking. I would start by takinig a close look at all the rubber lines coming from the tank to the motor for cracks. Very commen on these. If all check out good most likly cause is you evap leak detection pump haas fail.

gdrunner
09-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Hello. I have a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country 3.3L and I recently got the P0456 code. I have checked the gas cap. It seems like it is on tight. Can anyone tell me how to clear the code and/or reset the light.

usmailman956
09-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Try looking just below y the aircleaner box there is a schrader type valve in a hose that has 2 small pieces of hose on either side of it. These small hoses seem to split quite often on the bottom side of them,you have to feel it you cannot see it. My 01 had this code and replaced gas cap it was tight and then found these split hoses and haven't had a problem since. It gets really hot where they are so they get brittle and split

Bigbuckjohn
02-14-2010, 06:23 PM
I have this code as well on a 2003 Town and Country 3.8 liter engine. I also have the P0442 and P0445 codes (along with a P030 which says my #3 cylinder misses sometimes). I looked at the schrader valve (I didn't even know it was there) and there are no leaks on the hoses. Could it be that pot thingy that the hoses go to? I checked the gas cap and it looks like it is sealing well. The check engine light goes off once in awhile then comes back on after a while. Seems like cold weather affects it more than warm weather. I also have jerky shifting of the transmission sometimes (not always). Seems like it jerks shifting from 1st to second to 3rd if I don't have a load on the transmission, if I'm facing downhill. Otherwise it runs fine. Any solutions?

Bigbuckjohn
03-20-2010, 09:23 AM
RIP: How do you open a new post? I have looked everywhere on this site and can't find out how to do it, thats why I add on to a post. Still trying to find a leak on my emissions system to find out why I'm getting the P0442, 0445 and 0456 codes. I always have the check engine light on and rough shifting sometimes if I am starting out facing downhill. Works fine otherwise.

cbwilsha
03-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Bigbuckjohn--If you will look in the upper left of a Forum Display Page, e.g., Caravan//Voyager, you will see a New Thread button.

C.B.

P.S. That's one page back from where you are now.

kluntz
04-27-2011, 10:15 AM
I am having the same issue with the check engine light in my 2007 Town and Country.
The light comes on. It goes off after a while (a day or so), then it comes back on again. I do not have the handheld scanner.
Should I take it to a shop to have this serviced sooner rather than later?

Thanks.

Bigbuckjohn
04-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Well, I finally took the car to the Dodge dealer, and for only $1500 he fixed the problem (well, there were a few other things he fixed also, like the grommets on a stabalizer bar that was bumping when I hit a hole). Turns out the P0456 code was from an L shaped piece of rubber tubing (which is about 4 inches long, but a 90 degree bend on a metal line) on the vent line from the gas tank, just forward of the gas tank. Now I checked this before and didn't see a crack in it, but he took it off and on top was an age crack that was causing the vacuum leak. It is about 3 ft. forward of the gas tank where the small 1/4 inch metal tubing makes a 90 degree turn. It may look good from the bottom, but take it off and check it. Its probably no more than a $3 part to replace.

RIP
04-27-2011, 05:21 PM
I am having the same issue with the check engine light in my 2007 Town and Country.
The light comes on. It goes off after a while (a day or so), then it comes back on again. I do not have the handheld scanner.
Should I take it to a shop to have this serviced sooner rather than later?

Thanks.

No rush. The only thing that will happen is the check engine light will be on. Can you live with that? The van will run just fine. If your state requires an inspection you'll have to get it fixed or fail.

RIP
04-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Well, I finally took the car to the Dodge dealer, and for only $1500 he fixed the problem (well, there were a few other things he fixed also, like the grommets on a stabalizer bar that was bumping when I hit a hole). Turns out the P0456 code was from an L shaped piece of rubber tubing (which is about 4 inches long, but a 90 degree bend on a metal line) on the vent line from the gas tank, just forward of the gas tank. Now I checked this before and didn't see a crack in it, but he took it off and on top was an age crack that was causing the vacuum leak. It is about 3 ft. forward of the gas tank where the small 1/4 inch metal tubing makes a 90 degree turn. It may look good from the bottom, but take it off and check it. Its probably no more than a $3 part to replace.

Sure hope that part was gold plated. Anyway, it's fixed. The air we breath will be that much cleaner.

jpb53
04-27-2011, 05:33 PM
A small leak can turn into a large leak with time. With an evap leak your car can be polluting sitting in your garage as it is releasing hydrocarbons into the atmosphere.

autotech234
06-07-2011, 05:22 PM
glade to hear its fix. Car Repair cost so much. I dont no how people do it. That why im here to help if you need any thing

Fedgan
10-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Good afternoon – I have a check engine light on my 2003 town and country van – do you may know where can I take it for some to give me the code? do you know if Auto zone do it for free? Sorry to ask running a very low budget

RIP
10-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Good afternoon – I have a check engine light on my 2003 town and country van – do you may know where can I take it for some to give me the code? do you know if Auto zone do it for free? Sorry to ask running a very low budget

In most states Autozone will check your codes for free as will most other automotive parts stores. One exception is California. A state mandate says they can't check them at all. When you get the code come back here and post it in a new thread. Click "New Thread" at top left of the opening page of the Caravan forum.

Bigbuckjohn
10-27-2011, 06:52 PM
I believe P0456 is a vacuum leak (major). I think a minor leak is P0445? Anyway, all you have to do is with the car off, turn the ignition switch off and on 3 times. The codes will come up in your odometer. Then you can go to google and google Dodge/Chrysler T&C codes and find out which one it is. My vacuum leak turned out to be a small 1/4 inch hose (90 degree elbow) on the sensing line from the gas tank (located on the driver side under the car). It was cracked on the top and didn't even show from the bottom, it had to be removed to find the crack. Now I have another check engine light, small vacuum leak, and am looking for it. What a pain they are.

RIP
10-27-2011, 08:17 PM
I believe P0456 is a vacuum leak (major). I think a minor leak is P0445? Anyway, all you have to do is with the car off, turn the ignition switch off and on 3 times. The codes will come up in your odometer. Then you can go to google and google Dodge/Chrysler T&C codes and find out which one it is. My vacuum leak turned out to be a small 1/4 inch hose (90 degree elbow) on the sensing line from the gas tank (located on the driver side under the car). It was cracked on the top and didn't even show from the bottom, it had to be removed to find the crack. Now I have another check engine light, small vacuum leak, and am looking for it. What a pain they are.

I've given up on recommending the key cycle to get the codes. Folks come back too many times saying, "I can't get it to work". Connecting a scanner is a sure fire code getter. As for your small leak, if you can't find it in the usual places (see the video on youtube) take it to just about any shop. They will trace it using a smoke machine. Makes the leak obvious.

"The codes will come up on your odometer". Works on 4th generation vans and some later 3rd gens. Otherwise count the SES light flashes.

seth83
11-04-2011, 03:03 PM
i have a 2002 T&C with the following codes: p1684, p0442, p0455, p0306, p0456. this seems very common on here and i need a lot of help narrowing these problems down. it seems like the 0442, 0455, and 0456 are some how connected. what are the most common causes of these codes. i've just found this forum and don't have time tonight to check what has already been suggested on here but am open to any more suggestions, i have to get these codes taken care of for inspection, thanks

RIP
11-04-2011, 04:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUeYiMjKPEo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSn0ljUS6kI

Add your comment to this topic!