Can a bad tie-rod cause shaking?

cavasinj
06-12-2007, 12:32 PM
I have searched through the forums here to find others with tie-rod problems, but it seems a little mentioned issue. Could a bad tie-rod be causing shaking at freeway speeds? During normal driving, it is constant, but slight. When I let off the gas, it gets worse. When I brake, it gets better. So I have surmised it is not the warped rotors, though I am sure that will happen soon. Also, I have inspected the CV boots, and noted no cracks, or other noises from them signaling the joints demise.

Can anyone tell me a simple way to diagnose a tie-rods upcoming failure? I seem to recall my father/uncles leaning into the tires at top, bottom and sides, and maybe this was to help see if the tie-rods were functional...

Thanks in advance for any help, I would greatly appreciate it...
Joe

BNaylor
06-13-2007, 10:12 AM
The best way to diagnose worn out tie rods both inner or outer is to take it to an alignment shop. The 3 and 9 o'clock pull test doesn't always reveal much and since the Alero steering wheel does not lock.

Shimmying can be caused by other things like a bad tire, out of balance tire or a damaged wheel. Wheel bearings and worn out struts can can shimmy. An out of balance or bad tire on the rear end can be felt in the steering due to the body construction.

Add your comment to this topic!