Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

burning smell going uphill

knl25
06-11-2007, 03:36 PM
I can detect strong burning smell when I drove up a steep hill on a mountain (not while driving but after I got out of the car). The slope is about one mile long. My transmission fluid is brand new. The smell is more like burning fluid and not electrical origin I think. What could cause this smell? Is this related to old gear fluids (if so where should I change it)?

Thanks

12Ounce
06-11-2007, 04:08 PM
I would be suspicous of the tranny fluid quality. Did you change the tranny fluid yourself ... or did some shop do it?

Of course, the engine oil is another possibility ... do your get a strong odor and smoke if you remove the oil filler cap after this uphill drive? How many miles are on your engine?

knl25
06-11-2007, 05:38 PM
I would be suspicous of the tranny fluid quality. Did you change the tranny fluid yourself ... or did some shop do it?

Of course, the engine oil is another possibility ... do your get a strong odor and smoke if you remove the oil filler cap after this uphill drive? How many miles are on your engine?

I changed the transmission fluid myself and I use Mobil 1 synthetic. I actually changed it 3 times this year to get rid of the old fluid. Last year I had an O/D light flashing and the van stopped after smoke coming out all over and it turned out the transmission was gummed up with really old fluid :grinno:

The car is 130K miles but the engine got replaced about a year ago. I noticed the burning smell even after I changed the motor oil (Mobil 1 synthetic). There is no burning smell with normal driving, just climbing hills.

There is also a bit of vibration or rough idle with NO CEL but this is probably not related to the burning smell.

wiswind
06-11-2007, 09:42 PM
I am wondering if the vibration you are feeling is the transmission slipping?
Possibly the Torque Converter not staying locked up?
These would cause the transmission to heat up.

It the tranny was gummed up, it is possible that the cooler is gummed up also.....restricting the fluid flow through it.....giving you less cooling.

I am guessing that you changed the transmission filter, and if the transmission was really dirty, it might need another changing.

adbradley
06-12-2007, 05:34 AM
I have a similar problem with my 99, but it only happens when driving through mountains. It seems that the excess heat from mountain driving causes the transmission fluid to expand and it comes out of the front transmission seal. Highway speeds cause the fluid to be blown under the car, burning on the exhaust and eventually coating the rear window. This has happened to me a couple of times so now I always carry a few quarts of trans fluid with me when I travel. A trans cooler might solve the problem but I haven't had time to put one on yet to find out...

knl25
06-12-2007, 08:39 AM
I am wondering if the vibration you are feeling is the transmission slipping?
Possibly the Torque Converter not staying locked up?
These would cause the transmission to heat up.

It the tranny was gummed up, it is possible that the cooler is gummed up also.....restricting the fluid flow through it.....giving you less cooling.

I am guessing that you changed the transmission filter, and if the transmission was really dirty, it might need another changing.

I actually added an extra cooler after the transmission was clear of old fluid several months ago. THe fluid seems to be red and clear. I also have access to autoenginuity software and tracked my trans fluid temperature when going uphill through mountains and it's at the range of 180-195F while normal highway driving around 160-170. Do you guys think these temperatures are high for the windstar?

How do I verify the torque converter not locking up issue?

Thanks!

knl25
06-12-2007, 08:56 AM
I have a similar problem with my 99, but it only happens when driving through mountains. It seems that the excess heat from mountain driving causes the transmission fluid to expand and it comes out of the front transmission seal. Highway speeds cause the fluid to be blown under the car, burning on the exhaust and eventually coating the rear window. This has happened to me a couple of times so now I always carry a few quarts of trans fluid with me when I travel. A trans cooler might solve the problem but I haven't had time to put one on yet to find out...

This also happened to me during the past year. The fluid leaked out of the front seal and gradually got worse that I had to pay 500 bucks to replace the seal which solved the problem. This car is really a piece of junk. I have most of the problems people report on this forum. My grand cherokee is at >240K miles and gives me zero problem.

12Ounce
06-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Make sure your radiator fans are coming on when commanded. Your tranny cooler is probably more dependent on them than is the engine.

DRW1000
06-12-2007, 07:48 PM
I actually added an extra cooler after the transmission was clear of old fluid several months ago. THe fluid seems to be red and clear. I also have access to autoenginuity software and tracked my trans fluid temperature when going uphill through mountains and it's at the range of 180-195F while normal highway driving around 160-170. Do you guys think these temperatures are high for the windstar?

How do I verify the torque converter not locking up issue?

Thanks!

If your torque converter is not locking up I think you should see a flashing O/D light and a transmission code P0741 should be set.

wiswind
06-12-2007, 09:20 PM
The temperatures that you mention sound like no problem for the transmission.

Add your comment to this topic!