Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1992 jimmy smoking gas and died

hissinroaches
06-11-2007, 11:52 AM
i was driving down the road and all the suddun it started smoking gas really bad and then died.tried to restart but it would not turn over.after a couple months sitting,it will turn over now but wont start.i had it scanned with a hand held dionostic code reader but nothing came up.a friend said it might be the fuel pressure regulator.anybody think they know whats going on???

blazes9395
06-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Get a fuel pressure tester on there and see what pressure you are getting. Also it once the key is in the on position, the fuel pump should come on and stop. The pressure should hold and not leak down. If it leaks down, or if the fuel pressure is not at spec, I would be taking the upper intake off and seeing what going on under there. The CPI injector is very common for leaking, both at the regulator and the fuel lines. Get a fuel pressure guage on there and go from there.

Craz
06-11-2007, 02:01 PM
The fuel pressure should boost up to 55 - 60 psi after the first or second ignition key turn (depending on how longs its been sitting). Watch the pressure and if it leaks down pretty quick, then you have a problem somewhere with a leak. Prolly at the pressure regulator or the CPI as blazes stated above. If the truck sits long enough with the pressure gauge on it tho, it will still drop... just ever so slowly. So dont freak out over that.

I would check inside the upper intake for fuel as well. Its more than likely you have a leak, beings you smell gas. That usually is the first sign... hehe..

Good Luck !!

Add your comment to this topic!