Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Slight overheating...Possibly FMIC

TalonEclipseMixGsx
06-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Ok so i did about 60 miles round trip in the gsx today, the longest ride ive takin the car since i installed the FMIC. The temp gauge would go up and i checked the logger and was running around 240-250 degrees. I was doin about 72mph or so with 3k rpms @ around 100 degrees outside air temp. I slowed down to 50-55 and it went right back down. It has never happened before, which leads me to believe it was caused by the FMIC and the 100 degree weather we had today. Tomorrow i plan on rewiring the radiator and AC fan so they both kick on together. So I was thinking if i were to run an extension to the power wire on both fans and connect them together, would both of them come on? So when the radiator fan kicked on the AC would kick on, and if i were to turn on the AC both of them would turn on. Am i on the right track here? I had planned on pulling the AC compressor relay, eliminating the need for me to wire any kind of toggle switch to control the fans. Then when i want AC just throw the relay back in. Does this sound like it would work? Normally my engine temps are around 190 so i dont think its the thermostat, but does anybody know if they make any thermostats for our cars that will open at a lower coolant temp other than 190 or is that the standard? Thanks in advance

crunchymilk55
06-11-2007, 09:05 PM
you have a few options

lower thermostat, yes they make them
wire the fans so they are always on
run air ducting to get more air to the radiator

from your description, i would go for the air ducting

SilvrEclipse
06-11-2007, 09:35 PM
I have the same issue I believe. I was doing some tuning the other day and after a few hard runs the temp gauge was up about 3/4 of the way. The fan was running and the motor cooled down after a few minutes. I have never had this issue before but it just started getting really hot here so I think that may have something to do with it.

kjewer1
06-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Don't connect the power wires together, the current draw will be too high for that circuit. Connect the two relay trigger wires together, so when the ECU commands one fan to come on, the other comes on as well, powered by it's own circuit. IIRC, there is a VFAQ for this.

I needed two fans when I went to a full sized FMIC on the 2g, the main big fan alone wasn't enough. The bumper design doesn't lend itself well to big FMICs and adequate cooling, at the same time. ;)

TalonEclipseMixGsx
06-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I wired the fans, but not by the power wires, like i was originally going to do it. Just like kevin said theres a vfaq, and i just ran a jumper wire to both relays and they both work when either the temp gets above 205 or the ac is turned on. I also added 12 oz of that redline water wetter, and sprayed down my radiator and condensor to get all the bugs and leaves out of it. Im in the process of thinkin how to rig some kind of air ducting that wont take away from the outside apperance as well. Its fine driving around town, but the real test will come when i make another long trip at higher speeds.

Add your comment to this topic!