I'm getting really bad gas mileage!

BeautifulHaven
06-10-2007, 02:59 PM
I was talking it over with a friend of mine at work who owns the same kind of car I do...except that his is a 97' and mine is a 99'. I really love my car and would hate to get rid of it, but when I told him I only get about 200 miles to a full tank of gas ( I am lucky if I get 200 miles to a full tank of gas!) some eyebrows started to raise lol. He told me he gets about 350 miles. I drive a lot between work and school...but I am hating the fact that I am filling up twice a week when I know I shouldn't be. Are there any suggestions at all? I just did a tune up in my car and replaced my air filter and did a motor flush. I still need to do my spark plugs but I am holding off till I actually pull one out and see if they are bad or not. I have no idea what to do.

I know sometimes when I turn my car on and let it sit for a little bit...when I walk behind my car sometimes I can smell oil burning from my muffler. I am really hoping I don't have a cracked oil piston. I was also told that maybe an in take or something called a "tornado" would help? Please let me know what I can do. I am open to suggestions...I am hating to spend this much in fuel all the time??????:banghead:

cardboardpimp420
06-12-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm just going to ask a few questions because there are quite a few things that could cause it (possibly a combination of things)

how are your driving habits? do you floor it a lot or do you take it easy? what kind of mileage are you putting on it? is it more city or highway? Are your trips long or short? Does it seem to bog down at all? Does your check engine light ever come on? How many miles are on that motor? As far as the tornado goes, ive heard that the tornado does not make any noticable differences if it makes a difference at all.

BeautifulHaven
06-12-2007, 10:58 PM
there is just now 92,000 miles on the car. I do not floor the car at all...I am a pretty easy driver. I just drive the car to and from work and school...so mainly city, sometimes highway. My trips aren't to long...I don't think. I live about 10 miles from work and about the same for school. The car doesn't seem to bog down really, but if I do idle it sometimes before getting into the car, you can smell oil burning sometimes. I don't have an oil leak on the outside...at least there are no puddles under my car indicating that I do. So I was wondering if it was like an oil piston or something. Can that effect it a great deal or just a little? I am pretty sure the car is going to need a new fuel filter and sparkplugs.

cardboardpimp420
06-14-2007, 05:38 PM
got me stumped there, as far as the oil burning goes it is probably going to be your valve seals but its kind of unusual for those to go after only 92,000 miles, ill let you know if i find out anything. yeah the tune up would be a good start though

BeautifulHaven
06-15-2007, 10:03 PM
ok, well i am sorry for misinforming you. Apparently it is not oil burning from my muffler. Someone just said that it would just need to be cleaned, like a flush. I quess this could hurt the performance of the car??? I don't know much about that, but I just replaced my air filter and did a motor flush. My next step is sparkplugs and a fuel filter. I am just going to go from there. It pretty much has me stumped too lol.

growe58
06-16-2007, 02:09 PM
ok, well i am sorry for misinforming you. Apparently it is not oil burning from my muffler. Someone just said that it would just need to be cleaned, like a flush. I quess this could hurt the performance of the car??? I don't know much about that, but I just replaced my air filter and did a motor flush. My next step is sparkplugs and a fuel filter. I am just going to go from there. It pretty much has me stumped too lol.

Miles per TANK of gas is not the best way to judge fuel economy. You really need to check miles per GALLON preferably for a couple of tanks. Note that your car is only rated at 17 mpg in the city if you have the six (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/1999_Dodge_Avenger.shtml). If you're running the air conditioning and need new spark plugs, you could easily be doing a couple miles per gallon worse.

What do you mean by a motor flush? That stuff that you mix in with the oil is not a good idea. Hopefully you changed the oil shortly after, if not do so immediately!

BeautifulHaven
06-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Miles per TANK of gas is not the best way to judge fuel economy. You really need to check miles per GALLON preferably for a couple of tanks. Note that your car is only rated at 17 mpg in the city if you have the six (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/1999_Dodge_Avenger.shtml). If you're running the air conditioning and need new spark plugs, you could easily be doing a couple miles per gallon worse.

What do you mean by a motor flush? That stuff that you mix in with the oil is not a good idea. Hopefully you changed the oil shortly after, if not do so immediately!

I don't know what they call it. I used that stuff you put in the oil tank (smells like kerosene really) after draining the oil. I was told to let the car idle for about 5 minutes and then drain that and then put in new oil. It works alright. I guess it just removes all the build up and grim.
oh and I am calculating by gallon. To my knowledge if I did it right...I am getting about 10 miles and not 17. :(
I am going to replace sparkplugs now.

growe58
06-18-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't know what they call it. I used that stuff you put in the oil tank (smells like kerosene really) after draining the oil. I was told to let the car idle for about 5 minutes and then drain that and then put in new oil. It works alright. I guess it just removes all the build up and grim.
oh and I am calculating by gallon. To my knowledge if I did it right...I am getting about 10 miles and not 17. :(
I am going to replace sparkplugs now.

Yikes! 10 mpg IS pretty bad. Are you sure though? Ė itís a 16 gallon tank and above you said that you got 200 miles to a tank. (Sorry Iím not trying to cross examine you lol, just trying to understand the extent of the problem).

At any rate, how does the engine seem to be running? Is your check engine light on? If the engine is running well and there is no CEL, it may not be the engine at all and I hate to see you keep throwing money at the problem (spark plugs, air filter, motor flush) without having a better idea of what exactly the problem is.

Have you checked your tire inflation pressure? Are any of your brakes stuck on (is the car fairly easy to push in neutral on flat ground or better yet jack up the car and see if the wheels are easy to spin by hand)? Is your transmission shifting through all four gears?

Was this always a problem for you, did it gradually become a problem or it did it suddenly become a problem? If suddenly, was there some occurrence that may have caused it?

If you feel capable of it, a compression gauge and a vacuum gauge could give you a sense of the health of the engine. Less than $50 to buy both and even less if you can borrow them from a friendÖ

IMHO, the motor flush is not a good idea. The purpose of the oil is to keep an oil cushion between moving parts so they donít rub together and wear out. The motor flush washes the oil off and accelerates engine wear. Using it the one time is really no big deal, but it has doubtful benefits and definite negatives.

Good luck!

BeautifulHaven
06-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Yikes! 10 mpg IS pretty bad. Are you sure though? Ė itís a 16 gallon tank and above you said that you got 200 miles to a tank. (Sorry Iím not trying to cross examine you lol, just trying to understand the extent of the problem).

At any rate, how does the engine seem to be running? Is your check engine light on? If the engine is running well and there is no CEL, it may not be the engine at all and I hate to see you keep throwing money at the problem (spark plugs, air filter, motor flush) without having a better idea of what exactly the problem is.

Have you checked your tire inflation pressure? Are any of your brakes stuck on (is the car fairly easy to push in neutral on flat ground or better yet jack up the car and see if the wheels are easy to spin by hand)? Is your transmission shifting through all four gears?

Was this always a problem for you, did it gradually become a problem or it did it suddenly become a problem? If suddenly, was there some occurrence that may have caused it?

If you feel capable of it, a compression gauge and a vacuum gauge could give you a sense of the health of the engine. Less than $50 to buy both and even less if you can borrow them from a friendÖ

IMHO, the motor flush is not a good idea. The purpose of the oil is to keep an oil cushion between moving parts so they donít rub together and wear out. The motor flush washes the oil off and accelerates engine wear. Using it the one time is really no big deal, but it has doubtful benefits and definite negatives.

Good luck!

Hey...I just went through a tank of gas...a full 16 gallon and I am sorry it came to about 13.5 miles to a gallon. The engine seems fine to me...sometimes the car shifts a bit rough when going uphill or when it wants to pick up. I did have the brakes and everything checked. I need new rotars...the tire inflation pressure is good on all tires.
I just think it needs a complete whole tune up...the whole works.
I got a little bit of better gas milage when I first bought the car. I got about 250 miles to a full tank.

Wafting
07-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Have you had your primary oxugen sensor inspected? You need special tools to check this like a graphing volt meter. It should switch from approx 0 to 1 volt 10 to 20 times per second. If it is lazy, the CEL may not light up but the ECM will run the engine too rich. They usually only last about 60 000 miles, so if you have a high mileage car, this could be an issue as the O2 sensor is the heart rate monitor of the engine. This part you have to purchase from the dealer to obtain proper calibration. Aftermarket units never work as well on a stock engine.

Also if the thermostat is bad, the engine will run too cool forcing the ECM to open the injectors longer in a vain attempt to bring the engine up to operating temperature. The guage should read about half within a few minutes of driving.

Plugs are always a good start. make sure you buy the proper ones form the dealer. I have tried many plugs in mine, and anything other than the factory Champions have reduced mileage and even caused light misfires. NGK iridiums work well too.

I own a 96 2 litre manual and normally get 400 to 450 miles per tank at speeds less than 65 mph. (3.5 hour per day to and from work) Good luck.

BeautifulHaven
07-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Have you had your primary oxugen sensor inspected? You need special tools to check this like a graphing volt meter. It should switch from approx 0 to 1 volt 10 to 20 times per second. If it is lazy, the CEL may not light up but the ECM will run the engine too rich. They usually only last about 60 000 miles, so if you have a high mileage car, this could be an issue as the O2 sensor is the heart rate monitor of the engine. This part you have to purchase from the dealer to obtain proper calibration. Aftermarket units never work as well on a stock engine.

Also if the thermostat is bad, the engine will run too cool forcing the ECM to open the injectors longer in a vain attempt to bring the engine up to operating temperature. The guage should read about half within a few minutes of driving.

Plugs are always a good start. make sure you buy the proper ones form the dealer. I have tried many plugs in mine, and anything other than the factory Champions have reduced mileage and even caused light misfires. NGK iridiums work well too.

I own a 96 2 litre manual and normally get 400 to 450 miles per tank at speeds less than 65 mph. (3.5 hour per day to and from work) Good luck.

Yeah you are getting more miles per tank of gase than I am...probably about twice as more cuz I average about 200-225 miles per tank. My car just hit 93,000 miles 3 days ago. I have not had no O2 sensor inspected though...never heard of it. But I am a girl and just only know a little bit about cars LOL. So cool, now I just learned something tonight :grinyes:
Anyways...that could be wrong with it, who knows...right now what I wanted tuned up is going to have to wait a little while longer cuz I just got into my first accident :banghead:
Oh well...I just have to replace my front fender and all of my right side lights...not too bad. I just have to be more careful for now on LOL.
Thanks a lot for the insight.

hbom764
09-13-2007, 07:41 PM
You could have your alignment checked, check for bad suspension/ steering parts. If it's been a while since you last changed your plugs and wires I wouldn't worry about whether or not they're bad, chances are they are if you're burning oil anyway. Clean your injectors next time you fill up. Check your fuel filter and pump, O2 sensors (there are 3 one is on the catyletic convertor) and your fuel map.

countrygurl
09-22-2007, 03:43 PM
I was talking it over with a friend of mine at work who owns the same kind of car I do...except that his is a 97' and mine is a 99'. I really love my car and would hate to get rid of it, but when I told him I only get about 200 miles to a full tank of gas ( I am lucky if I get 200 miles to a full tank of gas!) some eyebrows started to raise lol. He told me he gets about 350 miles. I drive a lot between work and school...but I am hating the fact that I am filling up twice a week when I know I shouldn't be. Are there any suggestions at all? I just did a tune up in my car and replaced my air filter and did a motor flush. I still need to do my spark plugs but I am holding off till I actually pull one out and see if they are bad or not. I have no idea what to do.

I know sometimes when I turn my car on and let it sit for a little bit...when I walk behind my car sometimes I can smell oil burning from my muffler. I am really hoping I don't have a cracked oil piston. I was also told that maybe an in take or something called a "tornado" would help? Please let me know what I can do. I am open to suggestions...I am hating to spend this much in fuel all the time??????:banghead:

I WOULD RECCOMEND YOUR 02 SENSOR! TRY THAT THAT MAKESA DIFFERENCE... IS YOUR ENGINE LIGHT ON?

countrygurl
09-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Get A New Car Avengers Suck And Nickle And Dime You To Death Once U Start To Repair U Dont Stop

Add your comment to this topic!