Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Subaru Legacy stalls

Bogie
10-27-2002, 02:44 PM
My 96 Subaru Legacy stalls randomly when I come to a stop light. It idles smoothly and runs fine other times. In most cases, I have turned off headlights, stereo, etc and it restarts. One time only it started to idle rough and died (still at a stop light) and wouldn't start. I had it jumped at that point, but I'm not sure if that is what caused it to start, or I had just waited long enough. I had the battery and alternator tested - both were good. Thanks for any suggestions you have.

higgimonster
10-28-2002, 08:01 AM
couple of questions. Is this an auto or manual tranny? Do you have a big stereo system? (ie amps subs etc). HAve you ever fooled with the electrical system?

Bogie
10-28-2002, 11:20 PM
It's an automatic and yes, it is my sons car with plenty of audio equipment in it. We disconnected all of that equipment though and it continued to stall. But, the good/bad news is - today it finally died completely and I believe I know what the problem is. He had the timing belt replaced a short time ago just before all of this started happening. Today it started to run rough then died. When he opened the hood, the belt was that runs between the alternator and the pulley on the engine(crankshaft pulley?) was laying loose. The pulley is stripped out and needs replacing. Does it make sense that this would cause the intermittent stalling when he pulled up to a stop and the engine was just idling?

higgimonster
10-29-2002, 09:07 AM
that would definetly be your problem. Because it was worn it most likely was slipping over the alternator pulley. I think you have found your problem

Bogie
10-30-2002, 12:12 AM
Thanks for your help.

higgimonster
10-30-2002, 07:48 AM
anytime

todadamson
11-24-2004, 09:20 AM
:nono:I had the same problem. Replaced fly wheel sensor. You are supposed to replace the sensors on the camshaft at the same time.

Add your comment to this topic!