Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A/C Issues

debian4life
06-08-2007, 07:45 PM
I have a 1998 Ford Windstar 3.8L engine. I am currently not getting any air blowing out the rear A/C in the van. I am researching this on the forum here, but I was wondering if it might be another A/C issue I am having.

Whenever I go up a steep hill the A/C goes from blowing out the front vents to blowing out the defrost vents. Then as I crest the hill it switches to blowing out at your feet. When you get towards the bottom it it switches back to the front vents.

Any help would be appreciated.

busboy4
06-08-2007, 10:17 PM
I have a 1998 Ford Windstar 3.8L engine. I am currently not getting any air blowing out the rear A/C in the van. I am researching this on the forum here, but I was wondering if it might be another A/C issue I am having.

Whenever I go up a steep hill the A/C goes from blowing out the front vents to blowing out the defrost vents. Then as I crest the hill it switches to blowing out at your feet. When you get towards the bottom it it switches back to the front vents.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi

I'll write more later and I'm sure others will chime in, but you have a vacuum leak in your A/C control lines. If you search on A/C and or defrost, or defrost only you will see others have had the same problem. Tracing the leak is the hard part.

wiswind
06-09-2007, 07:31 AM
When you are going up a hill, your engine is working harder...and the vaccum is lower.
With a vaccum leak in the air controls, it will be more noticeable with a lower vaccum to start with.

The temperature control is a separate function, and is electrical.
Where the air goes is driven by vaccum from the engine.
With little to no vaccum, the default position for the air is the defrost.
As busyboy4 said, finding the leak is the hard part.

eciessau
06-09-2007, 08:08 PM
I am having the same problem. Front will blow cold but only on windshield. Back blows hot all the time at feet, checked the actuator and its working, will hold so it comes out of the roof vents but its always hot. checked the dash switch and its all electronic. what could it be?? Any help would be appreciated. thanks

debian4life
06-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Whats the best way to look for a vaccuum leak?

debian4life
07-11-2007, 06:47 AM
Turns out that the vaccuum issue was at the rear AC switch selector on the front heater control. Replaced and works great. Thanks for the help!!!!

D4L

Add your comment to this topic!