Page updated on 10-23-2017

95 blazer, can't get window regulator out

shemp01
06-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Probably have stripped gear on driver's side front window regulator. Have purchased new regulator w/ motor on ebay. I have drilled out the rivets that mount the whole regualtor to the door. I have the glass taped to to the top. Can't get the regulator out. Seems like it would come out if I could slide the asssembly towards the door hinges (then the rollers would be off the tracks) but it is jammed. Seems like it might come out if I drill the motor rivets and remove it from the assembly. Did see somewhere where a guy lowered the window by hand all the way, but not sure I can do that w/ a motor that spins but doesn't necessarily move the scissor (that's why I'm replacing it).

What do I do to get it out?

In other words, once the rivets are drilled out, what position should the window be in, how do I get the rollers off the tracks and which way does the regulator come out?

I have searched this site and others for hours.....

Thanks

muddog321
06-08-2007, 06:29 AM
These are a PIA so widow taped up and you have to manuever the wheels out of the tracks and then manhandle that baby out - I had a few choice words doing mine!

Anyone have an EASY way??

rlith
06-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Best how-to is here

http://www.a1electric.com/s10motor.htm

shemp01
06-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks, but those pictures must be from an earlier or later year. Those pictures show sheetmetal over the regulator motor, whereas mine you can see and it is mounted in a hole in the door's inner skin.

Mine looks like the one pictured here:

http://www.s10forum.com/how_to_convert_manual_to_power_windows

It looks like he lowers the window to take it out, but this contradicts the other statements of leaving it taped up.

Help......

rlith
06-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks, but those pictures must be from an earlier or later year. Those pictures show sheetmetal over the regulator motor, whereas mine you can see and it is mounted in a hole in the door's inner skin.

Mine looks like the one pictured here:

http://www.s10forum.com/how_to_convert_manual_to_power_windows

It looks like he lowers the window to take it out, but this contradicts the other statements of leaving it taped up.

Help......

I have a 95, the principal is still the same. You need to lower the window a little bit before taping it up to remove the 2 bolts holding the top of the scissor to the window (10 or 12 mm head, can't remember)

Once you do that, use the switch to motor the scissor flat, then twist the entire unit out.

MT-2500
06-08-2007, 10:29 AM
And remember if it is one of the spring loaded jobs.
Always count your fingers after the job is done.
Them things will chop a finger or fingers off.
So be careful out there.
MT

rlith
06-08-2007, 10:30 AM
And remember if it is one of the spring loaded jobs.
Always count your fingers after the job is done.
Them things will chop a finger or fingers off.
So be careful out there.
MT

Heh, that's why I always drill a hole in the scissor and run a bolt/nut through it..

shemp01
06-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Great guys, thanks loads.

So,

lower window, take out two bolts, raise all the way, tape up, lower scissor w/ motor (if I can), bolt scissor for safety, remove.

Is that correct?

I don't recall seeing the anything but the scissor coming out, now sounds like the thing (track?) that attaches to the window comes out as well?

rlith
06-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Great guys, thanks loads.

So,

lower window, take out two bolts, raise all the way, tape up, lower scissor w/ motor (if I can), bolt scissor for safety, remove.

Is that correct?

I don't recall seeing the anything but the scissor coming out, now sounds like the thing (track?) that attaches to the window comes out as well?

Yes the portion that attaches to the window comes out. Once you get the assembly out, drill a hole at the cross point so when you remove the motor from the scissor assembly, it won't close and you can safely remove it. a 1/8th by 1 inch screw/but will be fine. So drill a 1/8th inch hole. Again, follow the instructions for my link above, while it shows the 1st gen door, it's all pretty much the same.

shemp01
06-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Got it out and replaced the whole assembly (motor and scissor).

It's funny that out of all of the instructions I have looked at, none really described the job well. Perhaps there are slightly different versions of doors out there as well.

There weren't any bolts on the rail on mine to undo (the 10 mm's described above) so not sure what that is about.

Here is what I recommend from my experience if you are replacing the whole regulator and motor (like $70 w/ shipping on ebay).

1 - take off panel in armrest and remove 2 screws
2 - remove screw behind inner door handle and remove trim by prying out from the rear
3 - pry up on rear of switch panel a bit and slide forward, comes off real easy
4 - carefully pry w/ wide screwdriver main door panel off by starting at bottom first, then go up sides, then lift up when weather strip is all that is still engaged
5 - fish switch panel out and place door panel to the side
6 - roll window all the way up
7 - take off water deflector (aka paper)
8 - drill out rivets, note that window is now out of way of the mad drilling
9 - you'll notice that the sector gear will keep the unit trapped in the whole in the door, start to lower window and figure out the right point at which to wiggle the bulk of the unit from within the door
10 - lower the window all the way and slide out the whole deal by pulling toward the hinge
11 - blow or vacuum out the door, and either buy a new water deflector, or do like I did and cut up some 3+ mil plastic and spray adhesive and tape a new one on
12 - Check that the motor works on the new one
13 - add some grease to the tracks and the new rollers and gears
14 - (there may be a way to do this step from the rear hole, but I went through the front whole) make sure the two little arms are one going into the window track, with window near the bottom slip the first roller into the window track from the front (mine was pretty hard), then the door track is the next to engage and then the other rollr in the window track. It helps to have someone holding and adjusting the height of the window. Plug in the motor and carefully raise it bit by bit to get the rollers slid in all the way and the motor to line up w/ the mounting holes. I had to push up on the bottom of the window to help it along and then use a rougly 18" long and 3" wide piece of plywood to help it up when it got too high to use my hand.
15 - Use 1/4-20 (5/16 might work) x 1" hex head machine screws and a nut w/ built in lock washer and crank em real tight
16 - test operation, put on new plastic water deflector, etc...have a beer and thank the forum

Thanks forum

If there is a better way let me know. The gap I saw in all the instructions was about rasing and lowering the window, don't see how you could remove or install w/o doing that.

rlith
06-09-2007, 02:38 AM
The bolts I was talking about is what holds the top of the scissor to the glass. Glad you got everything out though...

tree32878
01-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Do you know how to lower the window if the motor is dead?
Is there a manual way?
I have drilled out the rivets but window stuck in up position.

MT-2500
01-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Do you know how to lower the window if the motor is dead?
Is there a manual way?
I have drilled out the rivets but window stuck in up position.

Check the dates for old post.
If they are old do not reply to them.
Start your own New Thread and give all info and some one will help you.
And search the how to in S10 forum.
Also search other post for same problems.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=935729

Add your comment to this topic!