Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 accord sterring wheel shakes

timssail
06-07-2007, 04:01 PM
My Step son bought a 1996 accord 154k. I just had all the rotors replaced and the sterring wheel shakes at 25 MPH but is hard to notice at highway speeds. The mechanic said the tires that where on the front where cupped so he swaped them for the back two. The tires are Michilin Xones and are near the end of their life. Any thoughts on this?

jeffcoslacker
06-08-2007, 04:53 AM
If it began after the rotors were replaced, the rotors are not running true for some reason (rust between rotor and hub flange usually) and are causing the wheel to be similarly wobbling slightly...which you feel at low speed, but not so much at higher...

If it was there before, check for broken belt/bead cord in a tire, bent rim, bent stub axle on rear, etc...

timssail
06-08-2007, 08:34 AM
The wobble has been there before and after the new rotors. Also the back tires where moved to the front because of being cupped and noisy. I drove the car on a dirt road and the wheel did not wobble. when i drove the car with the cupped tires on the front the wheel was a little less active. What is the stub axle? and where is it. I am new to the Honda world. thanks for the reply.

jeffcoslacker
06-09-2007, 06:50 AM
Rear axles are just little short assemblies now on FWD cars...

It really sounds to me like you just have a tire with a belt slip...have someone drive slowly away from you as you watch the car, you'll probably see it swaying slightly...then usually you can spot the tire that's "squirming"...

timssail
07-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Problem solved, it was bad tires and the rotors needed to be replace too.

Add your comment to this topic!