Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Change Oil Light

fortcarp
06-07-2007, 10:28 AM
No where near due a oil change, reset light (so I thought) at last oil change. Light stays on after engine starts, remains on for about 30 seconds, then goes off. I have reset light several times as per normal reset procedure, still the same. Oil not low with good pressure, according to gauge. Prolly nothing, just like to see if others have experienced this too. These lights are a PITA!

MT-2500
06-07-2007, 01:13 PM
No where near due a oil change, reset light (so I thought) at last oil change. Light stays on after engine starts, remains on for about 30 seconds, then goes off. I have reset light several times as per normal reset procedure, still the same. Oil not low with good pressure, according to gauge. Prolly nothing, just like to see if others have experienced this too. These lights are a PITA!

Has it always been that way?
What year and engine?
Does it blink on the reset procedure?

fortcarp
06-07-2007, 01:46 PM
03 EXT I6, it just stays on longer than normal I guess, it does go out after about 30 seconds. During reset it will go off, not blink.

gmpartsman
06-12-2007, 12:35 PM
yep, on my 02 TB I have never been able to successfully reset it...neither can the dealer with the normal procedure. I'm sure they could turn it off with the Tech 2, but it doesn't bother me that much

J-Ri
06-12-2007, 02:32 PM

Does it have the fancy steering wheel buttons or the pedal 3 times in 5 seconds? If it's the pedal, try doing it on the throttle lever right at the throttle body. Sometimes for whatever reason (cable wrong, floor mat interfering, etc) the gas pedal won't make the TPS register 100% from inside.

maxwedge
06-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Does it have the fancy steering wheel buttons or the pedal 3 times in 5 seconds? If it's the pedal, try doing it on the throttle lever right at the throttle body. Sometimes for whatever reason (cable wrong, floor mat interfering, etc) the gas pedal won't make the TPS register 100% from inside.
This vehicle is drive by wire, no cable just the tps on the gas pedal.

fortcarp
07-04-2007, 01:19 AM
Light still stays on for about 30 seconds, then goes off. Never comes on while driving or blinks. I read over at chevy truck world TB forum this may be due to me using inferior fram filter. These cheap filters use bonded cardboard end caps instead of metal like on the AC/Delco PF-61. Makes sense as this is the second fram I have used. I will never make that mistake again. I will keep you posted once I change oil and go back to AC/Delco. Thanks for all the input.

MT-2500
07-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Yes always use a AC delco filter.
For years I have saw fram filters give oil pressure problems.

But the oil change light does not know what kind of oil filter the engine has.

It is turned on by the VCM/PCM according to the type of driving and mileage.

Just change oil and filter on a regular mileage.
And do a light reset when oil service is done.
If it comes on and stays on it is time to reset it.
If the light just stays on 30 seconds after key is turned on it is more of a bulb check.

MT

fortcarp
07-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Well I did change the oil and used ACD filter, reset light, now all is fine. Guess it does know when it has a cheap filter on it! Any oil cooling benefits gained by leaving off entire chassis access cover?

zepcom
08-02-2007, 07:28 AM
Well I did change the oil and used ACD filter, reset light, now all is fine. Guess it does know when it has a cheap filter on it! Any oil cooling benefits gained by leaving off entire chassis access cover?

Carp,

Glad to hear that your situation is resolved. :grinyes:

I recommend AGAINST leaving off the chassis access cover, since the oil drain plug is located very low on the GM Atlas engine and that little plastic access cover protects it from road debris or something that you inadvertantly drive over from ripping the plug out of the soft aluminum of the engine, draining all your oil while you're driving, seizing up your engine a mile or two down the road, and having you investing in a new engine. :runaround: :banghead:

In addition, the engine is mainly cooled by the radiator and circulating coolant, and these engines are designed to run properly in most all driving conditions, that's how they were engineered. Most modern cars/trucks these days have smooth undercar areas so minimize wind resistance under the automobile to keep airflow at the most efficiency. Removing this shield will create an area where the wind will start to swirl and potentially disrupt the designed airflow under the car, having the opposite of your intended effect!!

All in all, I'd recomment keeping it there. It's there for a reason, don't tempt fate by leaving it off... :nono:

fortcarp
08-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Yeah left it off after last oil change. Went to FLA on vacation, best MPG was still 22.4, not bad for an EXT loaded to the gills and at 75-80 mph. Also temp stayed where it always is at just under 210. I agree leave it on, I will put mine back. Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!