Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sloshing sound from heater

Cary T.
06-06-2007, 11:40 AM
99 Blazer - Have what I think is a strange one. We can hear water sloshing around from the area of the heater core box when we accelerate or go up a hill. Also getting a funky smell from the heater or AC. I’m thinking that there must be a drain for water that enters from the vent and it is plugged? If I’m correct where is it? Looked all over. No leaks inside.

Thanks

Rick Norwood
06-06-2007, 01:45 PM
99 Blazer - Have what I think is a strange one. We can hear water sloshing around from the area of the heater core box when we accelerate or go up a hill. Also getting a funky smell from the heater or AC. I’m thinking that there must be a drain for water that enters from the vent and it is plugged? If I’m correct where is it? Looked all over. No leaks inside.

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum. Go to the How to section of this forum and see my thread on Basic cooling system advice. What you are hearing is air in your system. I've posted the link here.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=456944

muddog321
06-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Hate to say but would guess the heater core has a clog and a leak. If so new heater core requires pulling the dash out and thats an all day pain or dealer at $500 or so. Temp solution is get a 5/8" x 3/4" adaptor pipe and bypass the heater at the firewall by simply connecting the two heater hoses together. Smell for Dex is burnt maple syrup type.

Rick Norwood
06-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Hate to say but would guess the heater core has a clog and a leak. If so new heater core requires pulling the dash out and thats an all day pain or dealer at $500 or so. Temp solution is get a 5/8" x 3/4" adaptor pipe and bypass the heater at the firewall by simply connecting the two heater hoses together. Smell for Dex is burnt maple syrup type.

Actually, There is a plastic adapter commercially available for a couple of bucks at Autozone that is preformed with both heater hose sizes. I covered that in my thread.

You're right Muddog, he made need to jumper the hoses, but the air in the system needs to be purged.

Cary T.
06-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the info. Most appreciated.

Cary

Add your comment to this topic!