What to ask when buying a used car?

fullcollapse
10-26-2002, 06:22 PM
I'm really new to cars [this'll be my first one] and today I saw a REALLY nice eclipse. I think it was a 95-6, not sure if it was GS/RS/etc.. so I gotta ask about that, but I don't know what else to ask about. Here's what I know about it already:

Miles: 64k
Stickshift
Pioneer audio [all he said was "It has a graphical dash cdplayer" so I need to get him to elaborate on that..]
Good int/ext condition
Price he's asking: $12,000 OBO
Green ext/Black-grey int

I'm calling tonight when he gets off work and I'm not sure what to ask about, so can anyone gimme some questions to ask to find out what a good price is to offer?

Sorry if this is wasting your time, but I gotta start somewhere :\

Thanks..

[i asked in the Mitsubish > Eclipse forum and haven't gotten responses yet so I'm posting here too..]

Chris1337
10-27-2002, 12:05 PM
:eek: For $12g, it better have some better mod's than just a sound system... if it doesn't, its not worth it!! Ask him to name all the engine mod's also.

fullcollapse
10-27-2002, 02:33 PM
What if he has done no engine mods? I'm not sure if he hasn't, but I'm just gonna say what if.. If there aren't any engine mods done what would the price be around?

YogsVR4
10-27-2002, 07:07 PM
Something to keep in mind is that mods usually do not add value to the car. It would have to be a very rare thing (like an engine swap) to jack up the price that high. Take a look at www.kbb.com to give you a starting point for pricing.

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

THE4TH
10-29-2002, 07:32 AM
yeah for 12k it better be a gst or gsx..
make sure it hasn't been wrecked..
do a lemon check on it..
ask if you can contact the previous owner.. they have to have the number there.. see if you can talk to the last owner..
dealers hate that cause then you can find out how much they gave them on the trade in .. ;)

dLocke
11-12-2002, 12:59 PM
Couple things... Is this a dealer or a private party? If its a dealer car then ask about their inspection. If its a private party, you'd need to get a pre purchase inspection when you get really serious about the car.

My advice: go on a long test drive. See what the car is like in traffic, on the freeway. Try to turn everything off and on and make sure everything works. Do a search on "used car checklist". And hopefully you'll be able to print out a blank checklist. Read over that list, look for those things when you're with the car, and fill that thing out as soon as the meeting for the car is over. I still have checklists in a folder from when I was looking for my BMW.

yr, make, model, asking price, trade in, wholesale, retail (www.kbb.com, www.edmunds.com), mileage, maintenance records?, paint/body condition, mechanical condition, tires, wheels, options, other extras, repairs needed?, etc.

If you don't want to pay too much, this is the best way to go about it. Good luck.

THE4TH
11-20-2002, 11:09 AM
and if it is a dealer.. take it to a diff dealer to have them inspect it..

Add your comment to this topic!