Front brake pad help

RightWingZionist
06-04-2007, 10:01 PM
3K miles ago the honda dealer said I have 5% left on them. They do not make noise yet unless I press hard on them at the end of a stop. I'm thinking of getting the most expensive one they got at autozone which is the duralast gold set with life-time warranty 35 bux.
I have the haynes manual which says you need to use a c-clamp to in the picture says "push the piston back into the caliper, and in text it says " push the piston back into the bore." Which is it? And do I really need to do this or is it for convenience? Can I push it in with a screw driver of something from the outside?
Also do I need the anti squeal compound for duralast pads with a shim?

In a nutshell, unbolt bottom bolt from caliper, raise caliper up, take out pads, install, put caliper back on and that's it?

I have a 1995 Accord V6.

I appreciate any help.

ProMan
06-04-2007, 11:10 PM
That's it. Just when you put the new pad on, it's thicker, that's why you need to push the piston back into the caliper (caliper's bore, same thing). Or your won't be able to swing the caliper back into place.

jgr7
06-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Auto Zone will loan you the tool to press the piston back in the caliper for free.
Jeff

somick
06-05-2007, 11:03 AM
The actual tool cost something around 7 or 8 dollars. You can actualy do it even with large channel lock.

Make sure you unscrew the master cylinder cap and watch the brake fluid level. Do not let it over flow.

Good luck,

Sam

RightWingZionist
06-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks guys.

Add your comment to this topic!