Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Code 22 and 43 thrown Help

whheezzzz
06-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Hello, im new to the forum and its great, ill get down to it, I have 93 S-10 Blazer 4.3 CPI, and im getting 2 codes: 22 which is TPS and, 43 which is ESC modula not recieving signal from knock sensor. My prob is that it lopes when idle back and forth,goes good for a few seconds then acts like its going to die then revs back up to normal, keeps doing it. Dosent happen all the time (but might as well). I also smell strong fuel odor also from time to time. Ive seen the CPI fix with the plenum off and everything, but i dont really wont to sink a few bills into it, if i dont have to. Also from time to time when driving in low rpm,its soundingvery heasitant, like its sputtering from the engine, not fireing right or something, then it will break out of it after i get up to speed. I also get crappy gas mileage, and sometimes when its really bad when i come to a stop it dies, i have to give it steady gas at idle when i come to stop to keep it runnin.Ive also heard that the EGR can go bad and cause this to, but im not sure as to where its located on my engine,would be nice to see a pic of it on my engine. Ive also replaced Dist cap,rotor,wires,plugs,fuel filter,oil,air filter basic stuff, i know this prob been asked before but no one has these codes set on the CEL like mine. Thanks for helping a newbie wannabe mechanic :):banghead:

blazes9395
06-04-2007, 10:17 PM
First with the 22, you have to get the TPS checked out. If you have a scanner, take a look at it and see if its working properly. This can also be done with a voltmeter too. If its bad, its needs to be replaced. The 43, knock sensor, take a look at connections, make sure all is good, and again it can be tested with a voltmeter to verify its getting proper voltage.

You need to get the trouble codes corected first and see where that gets you. Yeah your EGR is probably getting clogged up because its runing to rich and making a lot of carbon, so that adding to the problems there. First the codes and go from there.

Good Luck!

Craz
06-07-2007, 12:17 AM
BTW, there are 2 knock sensors on that 4.3. One on drivers side, just below the rear side of the exhaust manifold, and the other is just behind the passenger side cylinder head, just above the tranny bell housing. Round in shape with one lead plugged to it. Hope this helps.

whheezzzz
06-07-2007, 10:55 AM
hmmm i always thought that the one on the passenger side was a coolant sensor, because it looks slightly different than the one on the drivers side, i could be wrong thogh (which i was once back in 83') lol thanks bud

Add your comment to this topic!