Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Heater fan very loud and no air movement

JohnDD
06-03-2007, 07:55 PM
I have a 95 Cutlass Supreme. The heater fan started making a loud noise, like it was hitting something every revolution. The sound changed a bit when I selected "recirculate" but was still loud. Then the air stopped blowing, although the sound is still there. Could this be water from the condensation caught in the fan?
Anyone have this problem and can give me some instruction about removing the fan?

xeroinfinity
06-03-2007, 11:01 PM
The blower is on the pass side floor.
Remove the lower kick panel and you can see the motor.
THiers like 3 screws holding it in, disconnect the plug in and remove the screws. It'll drop right out.

You could have a bad bearing or the blow fins could be broken. :dunno: Their is a drain you should see where that enters the blower housing. Go out under the hood and you should find the end drain. Usually a stiff wire or compressed air can blow a blockage out.

Hope that helps.

JohnDD
06-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Got my problem solved after two hours of frustration and finding I could have done the job in 10 minutes!
Removing the three screws holding the fan is not that easy. Seems the designers decided to place one of the three screws at the back corner right next to the sloping floorboard so that a nut driver or regular socket can't reach. Need to remove the screw 1/8th turn at a time with an open end (7mm) wrench, while lying on your back. That's after removing the glove compartment box for easier access!
I discovered that the fan had ingested paper from the glove box! Seems that the air intake for the recirculating air is just behind and slightly below the glove box. And the glove box isn't closed fully on top. Easier for letters to get into the fan than it is for the postman to get them into our mail slot!
After I had removed the offending paper and completed my 15 minutes of contortions to replace that hidden screw, I found that when the car is running (not just on accessories), the flap on the "recirculating" opening opens wide, so that it's really easy to get your hand in there to take out any paper, leaves, etc.!! (Shutting off the fan before doing so)!

I recently changed the front brake pads on my 98 Honda and was most pleased to find stainless steel bolts and real easy access. Hence my comment re GM vs Honda.
I'll attach some photos if I can figure out how to do that. This is a slide show of the paper as found in the fan and some shots of the recirculate flap open, closed and partly closed.
http://john-dyck.magix.net/userwebsite;jsessionid=1scp5qkbwgwwy.omaasp32?act= 2&alb_id=1D25808012E511DC87FF4C1746318473

xeroinfinity
06-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Sorry I forgot about the back breaking part ....
Oh and the pita back bolt :banghead:

You did save your self some ca$h doing it your self :thumbsup:

to post pics you need to upload them to an image host like imageshack . then post the link for that particular pic.

Scott Dog
07-11-2010, 11:35 AM
That is exactly what I did. My blower motor was making a siren noise, so I took the glove box door off, and the recirculation flap is directly in front of that. I pushed the door open and found two papers and an envelope from a previous owner is the fan motor. I removed them, and the blower is blowing air better than ever!!!

Add your comment to this topic!