Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hubcap/wheel cover locks

ND4SP
06-03-2007, 02:37 AM
I have wire wheel covers that have the locks to hold them on. When the car was purchased, it didn't have the key. The stealership :rolleyes: that sold us the car just modified the locks by notching them :banghead: , now the notch is starting to get worn out. :disappoin Any ideas, aside from getting new locks, as to the remedy for this. I thought about using plastic weld epoxy, didn't know if that would be strong enough to last. Any ideas would be appreciated...

spinne1
06-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Here's what I did when one of mine got stripped:

I cut a groove on each side such that there would be a space for a large pry bar of just the right width to screw it out like a traditional (not phillips) screw. Does this make sense?

ND4SP
06-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Here's what I did when one of mine got stripped:

I cut a groove on each side such that there would be a space for a large pry bar of just the right width to screw it out like a traditional (not phillips) screw. Does this make sense?
Yep, I know exactly what you are talking about. That is exactly what the stealership did when we bought it. The slots are getting messed up and won't hold much longer. :banghead:

wrightz28
06-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Only suggestion is going down to the junkyard. Get a new set that has the key., or even better, find a key there, only 5 or 6 different versions were used.

ND4SP
06-07-2007, 02:44 AM
Only suggestion is going down to the junkyard. Get a new set that has the key., or even better, find a key there, only 5 or 6 different versions were used.
I ended up calling the dealer ship where I bought my Chevy truck. Ordered new locks and a key about 40 bucks :disappoin :banghead:

wrightz28
06-07-2007, 09:08 AM
That's actaully not too bad.:)

Add your comment to this topic!