Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

towing

Hotshot8792
06-02-2007, 11:27 PM
I have a 98 4.0 that did not come with the tow package. I am wanting to put a tow package on so I can tow a light trailer. I just ordered the receiver hitch from O'Reillys, however I will also need to be able to wire up jeep to the trailer's harness so the trailer's tail lights and turn signals will work. What exactly do I need for this and where exactly do I install it. Thanks for the help.

Ray H
06-02-2007, 11:37 PM
I have a 98 4.0 that did not come with the tow package. I am wanting to put a tow package on so I can tow a light trailer. I just ordered the receiver hitch from O'Reillys, however I will also need to be able to wire up jeep to the trailer's harness so the trailer's tail lights and turn signals will work. What exactly do I need for this and where exactly do I install it. Thanks for the help.

You got the option of buying a universal trailer plug and splicing it into your tail light wiring or you can buy a kit specifically for your Wrangler (T connector) that plugs into your Jeeps wiring harness. Either case, you access the wiring from behind the passenger rear wheel well. I suggest the Wrangler kit. It cost a few bucks more than the universal kit but its alot cleaner install. You probably wont find it in stock locally but most auto parts stores can order it or there are a hundred places on line to order from. http://www.trailerwiring.com/

Add your comment to this topic!