Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

AUDI vs. INFINITI...only one...

BavarianDDR17
06-02-2007, 03:10 AM
Plain and simple (both are 2007):

Audi A4 3.2 or Infiniti G35 sedan and why?

Jimster
06-02-2007, 06:20 AM
You can't get a 3 Series? Because the Audi is good, but not 3 series good. Same with the Infiniti.

The A4 sure is a hell of a lot less ugly than the G35 sedan though...

DinanM3_S2
06-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Despite the fact that the two are in the same class, they have quite a few differences.

Audi A4- one of the most attractive $30-40,000 sedans out there. One of the best interiors as well. Audi might just have the best interior design of any sports sedan today. Wonderfully simple yet elegant. Style wise, the Audi is hard to beat. The A4 is also generally had with Quattro AWD, which I have more faith in then most other AWD systems. So the Audi will be great in the rain and capable in the snow. Alas, the present generation of A4 (B7) is also one of the oldest sports sedans in the market and it is pretty far behind many of their main rivals as far as power, engine dynamics, toys, etc. As the second tier A4, the A4 3.2 supposedly competes with cars like the Acura TL Type-S, Infiniti G35, Lexus IS350, and the absolutly supurb BMW 335i. While the A4 3.2 is a little less expensive, it also only has 255hp going against an industry standard of ~300hp. The A4 isn't a light car to begin with, so that 45hp deficit will be felt. The chassis on the A4 isn't exactly top-of-the-line either. Many enthusiasts will complain that the car is a little too soft compared to competition. Reliability wise, Audi is notoriously bad compared to most modern cars. Electronics just arn't as good as the Japanese, specifically Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus, are. JD Powers ranks VW and Audi near the bottom for reliability. So, if you are concerned with looking good in a car or you need a luxury car that you can take skiing or other outdoorsey activities that involve less then ideal roads, the A4 is a good car. I would avoid it if you are very concerned about reliability, performance, or if you are willing to wait a year or two for the B8 A4 to come out, hopefully with newer, stronger engines.

Infiniti G35- Many people would say that this is indeed the best that it gets in $30-40,000 luxury sedans. Near BMW dynamics without the BMW price tag. Lots of power, good handling, good reliability, optional manual transmission (Lexus doesn't offer one on te IS350), at a very competitive price. It is also just as reliable as a 3-series, which is a good thing. It has done well in most comparison tests its been in. It just doesn't seem to be quite as special as some of the competition. It just isn't an attractive car next to the Lexus, BMW, or Audi. I can pick out little bits of Nissan Altima, which isn't what you want in a car like this. When you buy a $35,000 car, you don't want bits and peices from a lower quality $25,000 car. So I would get this if you were interested in performance and feel from a luxury sedan and couldn't quite afford the BMW 335i and didn't want the 328i. I wouldn't get this if you were concerned with looks and prestige, because Infiniti still has none.

As Jimster asked, wheres the 3-series? BMW has dominated this segment ever since this segment existed.

BavarianDDR17
06-03-2007, 01:33 AM
Thank you so much for the detailed response! The Bimmer isn't on the list because of (as you said) the BMW price. Bimmers are actually my favorite cars but the only 3 series I like are the higher end ones. Because of the price difference the 3 series would have to be pretty much bare in the form of options, and I think the interior is so-so, I don't like the taillights odd shape, and I think the rims look not so attractive. 335i coupe with sport package... now you're talking. Just wish I had the money.

And on the power note, I hope the Audi 3.2 isn't too slow. It's such a pretty car. I wouldn't get it with quattro so it would have the CVT tranny which I hear gives it a better 0-60 than the tiptronic.

DinanM3_S2
06-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Ahhhhhh!!!!! Audis without quattro? are you mad? The money you save going to FWD isn't worth it. I would also stay away from CVTs, I just don't like them. If the only A4 3.2 you can afford is the non-quattro CVT, the G35 would be a no-brainer. If you are getting an Audi, you simply MUST get quattro. You might be able to save money on the A4 by getting a A4 2.0t and chipping it. A few hundred dollar software upgrade will give you the same power as the 3.2, but might mess with your warranty a bit.

Another option might be the BMW 328i. It isn't as powerful as either the A4 3.2 or the G35, but it is still a great car. Check out this C&D comparison test-

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/12514/2007-infiniti-g35-sport-vs-2007-bmw-328i.html

Certified pre-owned is also a good way to go if you are looking to shave some money off the price of a new car. I don't know much about Audi or Infiniti's used car program, but I know that BMW's is excellent.

BavarianDDR17
06-03-2007, 10:17 PM
I just wasn't sure if quattro was worth it when I don't live in a harsh weather area, but I guess for handling and all it can be.

I actually wondered about a used 3 series. If I was to look at one it would most likely be a 2005 330i sedan with sport package. I like the sporty/elegant look of the e46's much more than the current one. Maybe that would be a better option. I do like the look of Audis but they really are lacking in the power department. The cost of maintaining a German car scares me a little. I love them but so many people complain about the cost of keeping them up. Any thoughts, Dinan?

sickcallawayc12
06-03-2007, 11:33 PM
If you are concerned about maintenence AT ALL and/or you don't work on your own cars, then don't get an Audi. While they are without question very sweet cars, Audis require a lot of "love" from their owners in return. I considered getting an older Avant turbo wagon, but i saw that upkeep is just as bad as my Blazer or SUVs, if not more. Check out www.audiworld.com and ask all those Audi owners what they have to deal with. Chipping an Audi is a very very cost effective power upgrade also if you are considering that. From what i've heard, servicing at a dealer without warranty ain't cheap and they aren't the brightest mechanics either.

Jimster
06-03-2007, 11:58 PM
The new Audis are actually really good, the B7 models have cured pretty much all of the niggling problems that used to plague the B6 A4. Consumer reports actually has Audi as the most improved brand '01-'07 if I remember rightly. It's best not to put too much stake in these surveys though, as all they show is that more or less every car on sale is good enough to get at least a score of 75% and even the likes of Lexus and Toyota make duds.

I'd also hardly accuse Nissan of having thier electrics well sorted, Nissan reliability has gone down the tubes since Renault.

BavarianDDR17
06-04-2007, 02:46 AM
While I do love the looks of the Audi (and I have heard as well that the reliability is way up) I think it might be best not to mess with it. I might end up kicking myself later if things do start happening. On message boards it seems that for Audi owners they either have a problem free vehicle or one that is prone to problem after problem. I think I might just go with a 2005 BMW 330i w/ sport package. Although I know BMWs are pricey to fix as well, at least the reliability is up there. True?

Jimster
06-04-2007, 04:33 AM
Definitely, some bandwagon jumpers try to accuse BMW of shitty reliability, but really BMW reliability is absolutely top shelf, the X3 was recently voted most reliable vehicle in Britain for example.

Thing is, like I said, you can get lemons in any shape or form, I laugh at people who buy Corollas thinking they are getting a problem-free vehicle, end up with a lemon and wonder why.

BavarianDDR17
06-05-2007, 10:08 PM
I love Bimmers. I like the last design (e46) much more than the new design (e90) and I also think it looks much classier than the G35. I know the Infiniti is much newer technology but I thought this might be a better way to go.

So, 2005 BMW 330i with sport and premium pkg (ceritifed pre-owned)
-or-
2007 G35 sedan?

bmwgolfguy
06-05-2007, 10:56 PM
I have never driven a G35 so I have no basis to judge the two. I have owned a 99 528i auto, an:p 01 330i manual and 04 325xi auto. I loved all three of them. As long as cpo'd you are probably safe buying the bimmer. Once the warranty is gone tho, hang on to your wallet anytime you need service by a bmw dealer.

DinanM3_S2
06-06-2007, 12:10 AM
I love Bimmers. I like the last design (e46) much more than the new design (e90) and I also think it looks much classier than the G35. I know the Infiniti is much newer technology but I thought this might be a better way to go.

So, 2005 BMW 330i with sport and premium pkg (ceritifed pre-owned)
-or-
2007 G35 sedan?

Go ahead and test drive them. Ultimately that will be the best way to make your decision.

Add your comment to this topic!