Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

gear grinding

kitzilla
10-25-2002, 08:20 PM
Hey guys,

I don't know that much about cars, but figured I'd probably get a good/informed answer if I posted my question here.....so please excuse the newbie question. =P I just recently started driving stick and as I was practicing, I accidentally grinded my gears a couple of times. Well after the last time it grinded I've noticed that when changing from gear to gear it feels a bit different.....It seems to shift into gear smoother, with a "looser feel", and I don't think this is a good thing. I was wondering if anyone can let me know why it does that, how harmful it is to the car, if it affects performance, and if it's something I need to get fixed? Any information would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for any helpful replies!

-Kit

Tominos
10-25-2002, 09:46 PM
i don't think its anything you have to worry about. if the car still drives great, then whats the problem. everybody starts out driving stick grinding gears sometimes. if its not doing anything, noises etc. besides the smoother feel, then i wouldn't worry about it. isn't it better if your transmission shifts smoother?

5genhbtrubo15
11-03-2002, 05:11 PM
:frog: ya unless it start poping out of gear or grinds just going in to gear normaly then its not anything to worry about but if it dose get that tranny out now see ya :finger:

thewoahna
11-03-2002, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I wouldnt worry about it. Depending on the weather, that may have an effect too. I know in Cleveland now, its starting to get cold. When I start my car for the first time of the day, the shift is harder, but then the warmer things get, the smoother it shifts.

Add your comment to this topic!