Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

replacing rear control arm bushings on '76 elodorado

slider85
06-01-2007, 03:23 PM
I have a 1976 ElDorado that I am restoring. I am ordering the front end rebuild kit from Kanter, but there is nothing for the rear. The workshop manual says that the bushings are not replaceable and you have to replace the entire control arm. I know I can have new control arms made but i'm hoping someone knows how to fix the old ones. Haven't heard of any available w/o going custom. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

maxwedge
06-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Are the bushings bad? If so measure the diameter of the outer bushing and the hole size and see if you can match them up from another model, in urethane, they can be removed with some work. Or search for good used ones, but you may not get better than you have.

slider85
06-02-2007, 08:22 AM
thanks for the response.... the originals are shot. I've had a friend recommend the urethane, but I was worried they would be too stiff and affect the ride adversely. Am i just nit picking?

maxwedge
06-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Yes, with a soft sprung 5k car.

slider85
06-02-2007, 12:20 PM
thanks for the advice... any suggestions to best place to find the urethane bushings... i talked to energy and they didn't even want to help... they said they were all model specific

redmansioner
06-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Control arms bushings are rarely fitting in the other brands of car,its luck for you if you can find one and besides it would be normal that it would affect the ride.Maybe there some places who were selling good quality caddillac parts (http://www.speedyperformanceparts.com/cadillac-parts.html) if you want to save a buck and besides there are mods that worth more than a new stuff.

slider85
06-05-2007, 09:25 AM
thanks redmansioner!!... any suggestions on those mods. I was considering having control arms made that would have new bushings.

fishes
06-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Control arms bushings are rarely fitting in the other brands of car,its luck for you if you can find one and besides it would be normal that it would affect the ride.Maybe there some places who were selling good quality caddillac parts ("") if you want to save a buck and besides there are mods that worth more than a new stuff.

Is there any chance that redmansioner is a robot? his posts are worded strangely and have links to commercial sites. Redmansioner, what do you say?

maxwedge
06-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Personal profile says Belgium, that would explain the phrasing.

fishes
06-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Yes it would.
I still can't "Find more posts by..."
but hey, I just tried and I can't on slider85 either.

Warning: mysql_query(): Unable to save result set in includes/class_core.php on line 405

to the technical pages I go.

maxwedge
06-12-2007, 07:16 PM
That feature is not operational for now.

Add your comment to this topic!