Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

HELP!! 1980 Rabbit Died while driving

79rabbit
06-01-2007, 01:31 PM
I have a 1980 Rabbit Diesel , it has run and driven great averaging 48 MPG with a 5 speed tranny. This tank of gas I filled up with B99 (99% pure) biodiesel for the first time , from a local gas station here in Tacoma , Wa. I drove it about 250 miles on that tank and just a minute after starting it up after work , i pulled out into THE STREET AND IT DIED !! it would restart but only run for a burst , like it was not getting fuel - i pulled the hose going to the first injector , it is pumping fuel out when i crank. I ran to the store and replaced the fuel filter and got some starting fluid (diesel safe) no luck , it still is acting the same after priming the pump and trying to start it. im at a loss , did the fuel pump suffer a catastrophic failure? or is there another possibilty? The timing belt and idler were both replaced about 2000 miles ago , as was the fuel filter and air filter. ANY ideas would be appreciated!!!!

zagrot
06-03-2007, 12:29 AM
you said you pulled the hose to the first injector; if it was the rubber hose then that's the injector balance line, not the high pressure fuel delivery line (that would be the metal pipe). is there a lot of fuel coming out? if that's the case the injectors might be clogged (supposedly biodiesel is a great cleaner, i hear that it will disolve all kinds of junk that might have built up in the fuel system).

Add your comment to this topic!