91 corsica

greatgranny
05-31-2007, 04:27 PM
my grandson has a 91 corsica that after replaceing the brake line and bleeding the brakes now stalls when he appplies the brakes. the car will restart with no problem and go until he applies the brakes. can any one tell us what to do. is it the torque converter sensor. granpa says it seems to be a vacuum lock some where. the car has all new filters and was tuned up just recently please help great granny to get grandson on the road

jsgold
05-31-2007, 10:31 PM
I have not heard of the brakes themselves causing engine stalling. However, here is what happens if the TCC solenoid(common) acts up. The car starts and runs fine until it gets to normal operating range(engine hot) then when you slow down the car jerks and shakes as you hit the brakes like an old standard shift car stuck in high gear. The engine stalls when you stop. You can restart but stalls as soon as put into gear, until the car cools down a bit. If the engine simply shuts off when brakes are applied does this happen when car is sitting, driving or what? Only other thing I could think of is that perhaps wiring could be damaged at the fuel tank and shorting out, but I have never heard of this. Please advise exactly how the car stalls with as many details as you can. If it is the TCC solenoid as suspected you can get the car back on the road by simply unplugging the solenoid, although your gas mileage will drop a bit until it is fixed.

Blue Bowtie
06-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Suggest to Grandpa that he temporarily disconnect and cap the vacuum line at the brake power booster. If the vehicle is driven in that condition, there will be no power assist for the brakes in this condition. The brakes will work, but will require more pedal effort to stop the vehicle. If the engine no longer stalls when the brakes are applied, start shopping for a replacement power brake booster.

greatgranny
06-07-2007, 10:27 PM
thank you for replying. granpa had to have surgery and i have been really tied up with him. The car would stall as it stoped then start back up, there was not shuddering or shaking. My granson took the torque convertor sensor thing off and the car runs fine. no more stalls. Is this good for the engine and other things or should we look further for the problem. I guess you can tell i really do not know a lot about mechanical engine parts but i am trying to learn and help my granson thankyou greatgranny

05jesster
12-23-2010, 10:29 PM
I have a 91 corsica and the prob. was the fuel injection diafram that went bad and sent fuel all over the air intake check that and see if that helps
cost in repair 250.00

patrickwp
03-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Iv'e been having a similar problem with my 91 4 cyl 2.2 corsica. It's been stalling at lights and after restarting, would stall at the next light. After a few lights, it won't restart until I leave it for about 10 minutes. By the time I get it to a garage, it's not happening any more and the mechanics can't find anything wrong. Also when I shut it off when it's warm, it often won't restart. Turns over fast enough but won't fire and I smell gas. I have to leave it for 20 minutes to an hour before it will start. Is it the fuel pressure regulator as I have read about? I have a limited income and can't afford to be buying parts that I don't need.

Scrapper
03-24-2011, 12:35 PM
my grandson has a 91 corsica that after replaceing the brake line and bleeding the brakes now stalls when he appplies the brakes. the car will restart with no problem and go until he applies the brakes. can any one tell us what to do. is it the torque converter sensor. granpa says it seems to be a vacuum lock some where. the car has all new filters and was tuned up just recently please help great granny to get grandson on the road

take neg cable off for about 15 mins and set computer it's worth a try i never heard of this on just from doing brakes are you sure you got the air all the way out, and also you just sould have bleed where you replace the line like rear wheel cyl or calipers?

Add your comment to this topic!