Page updated on 12-11-2017

Brake Failure

96sonoma
05-30-2007, 03:33 PM
My 96 Sonoma is having many problems but this one is important. When I hit my brake pedal I have been hearing a kind of "hissing" directly in front of the steering column, and they are very weak. They allmost didn't stop me today. Fluid is full and I allready pumped them out in case of air in lines. What next? i have a Haynes manual around here some where but I can't find it. Need help fast. Truck is used for work.

MT-2500
05-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Welcome to AF.
It is not safe to drive like that.
Park it or fix it.
If a vacuum leak/hissing noise check vacuum brake booster and check for a leak where the vacuum line from engine plugs into booster.
Line may be off or a bad rubber grommet there.

1996LTOwner
05-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Hissing or grinding like? The ABS makes a loud noise in the front also. Have you had any brake work done? You may want to look at your sensors, pads and rotors and make sure they're okay.

96sonoma
06-01-2007, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the info! I replaced the Brake Power Booster yesterday and it seems to have cured the problem, I now have brakes and no hissing. We are back on the road.

Thanks again.

MT-2500
06-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the info! I replaced the Brake Power Booster yesterday and it seems to have cured the problem, I now have brakes and no hissing. We are back on the road.

Thanks again.

You are welcome and thanks for posting back with the fix and how it went.
Glad all is well.
MT

Add your comment to this topic!