Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Electrical Problems 98 Accord EX

Piell72
05-30-2007, 12:06 PM
I am hoping I can get some help with my problem. I have a stock 98 Accord EX. Lately, I have been having some issues with the electrical system. It started with a heavy rain storm a few months ago that would set off my alarm at random intervals. I took it in to get looked at but the @#$%!() of a mechanic thought it was an alarm problem and disconnected the sensor in the driver's side door. Not only did the alarm problem come back, but it also caused another issue where my door locks are now locking all the doors when my keys are in the ignition (which has caused me to lock myself out of the car a few times). Even after the mechanic reversed all of his changes, the problems continue. Recently the alarm problem has been getting worse; there are times when I open the car, turn the key in the ignition switch and the alarm goes off! Am I right in thinking that this is a big electrical problem? I am not having any trouble with the battery, and I haven't seen anyone else on the internet complain about the door locking problem. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Tofuboy
06-01-2007, 02:03 AM
What kind of alarm is this? You should check with the people who installed the alarm not the mechanic.

mechanic thought it was an alarm problem and disconnected the sensor in the driver's side door

What sensor will that be? I don't think there is any sensor in the door.

I suggest you check the manaul for your alarm, the settings probably need to be reprogram to what you want after it's been reset to defult.

Piell72
06-02-2007, 06:13 PM
I believe it is the stock alarm system that came with the car, as far as I know it is not an after-market alarm. As for the door sensor, the mechanic said that he disconnected the sensor in the door that would set off the alarm if the door was tampered with, but as I said before, it didn't solve the problem. As for reprogramming the alarm, I do not know how to do that. Again, assuming that it is a factory installed stock alarm, does anyone know how to reset the alarm back to the default settings? I bought the car used and it did not come with a manual.:banghead:
This is all going on the assumption that the alarm is the problem; I suspect that it might be part of a bigger electrical problem because after the mechanic supposedly put everything back the way it was, that is when I started having problems with the door locks locking on me when the keys are in the ignition. Has ANYONE ever had this type of problem? As far as I can tell, no one has posted or wrote about this on the net (or at least I haven’t been able to find it) and it seems like a specific problem that might or might not have anything to do with the alarm system. At first I thought it was just a minor annoyance, but after I had to call the police to get me into my own car when my brother-in-law closed the door with the keys in the ignition and 3 seconds later the doors automatically locked did it get upgraded to a major pain in the %#@!&. Any other ideas?

Thank You Tofuboy for your comments, if you have any other thoughts on this, please let me know.

Bootsgamer
07-12-2007, 03:39 AM
Dose your alarm have a remote? If so its not one that was stock on the car. also is it the kind that you can press a button to unlock your doors?

Piell72
09-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Dose your alarm have a remote? If so its not one that was stock on the car. also is it the kind that you can press a button to unlock your doors?
The alarm can be activated with the panic button on the standard Accord Key Fob. The same buttons on the Fob can lock and unlock the doors and pop open the trunk so it is not like the alarm has a separate remote. And I have tried changing to different Fobs (I bought 2 more for my car from eBay) and then programming them myself, but the same problem keeps happening.

Would anyone know how to change the settings on the alarm (or door locks) to keep it from locking my keys in the car again?

Copytech99
09-16-2007, 06:34 PM
If you open drivers door does the dome light come on ??

Tofuboy
09-23-2007, 01:43 AM
I am pretty sure the auto door locking when the key is turn to KOEO is a feature of the factory alarm because my 95 civic factory alarm had the same feature (I now have an after-market alarm).

I can't recall the sequence to get the alarm to enter programming mode and how to set different features, but if I recall right the alarm itself is a life time warrenty by the company who makes it (back in the 90s, alot of hondas don't have alarm install from factory, they source out to different companies to have them install and life-time warrenty by the alarm company).

Ask your local dealer for more info, but you will have to hold your ground, cause if they are not making money from you, they won't spend much time to help (that's how flat rate shop works). I would say your best bet is to ask the general manager since he is the boss of the whole dealership and possible to have a new alarm install for you for free.

Ones&zeros
09-23-2007, 11:30 PM
I agree a honda dealership would be the best place to start, to even see if it is factory installed or not.

Add your comment to this topic!