Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Won't start after rain

omiimiish
05-30-2007, 11:13 AM
I have a 90 camry wagon, first Toyota. Great car low miles. It will not start after a rain or very humid conditions. I have only had the car since April. I bought it in a snow storm and it ran fine until two weeks ago. I had foundd a note in the glove box saying it would not start in the rain. The note is true.

I changed the rotor, cap and wires. Not the plugs, they seemed fine. The ones I took off seemed realtively new.

As I am running down the road there is a periodic miss, very intermittent!

I am new to the forum. I did not find this subject.

thanks for any help.
dave

RIP
05-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Welcome aboard! Did you use dielectric grease to seal all the connections in the system? If not, try it. Don't forget the coil and ignitor connections. I'm assuming the car will turn over/crank fine but, there's no ignition/start.

Mike Gerber
05-30-2007, 02:48 PM
These generation 2 Camrys (1987-1991) had a lot of problems with the ignition coil inside the distributor. The coil would develope a hairline crack that would allow the coil to short itself out to any metal ground inside the distributor. This was most noticable in wet/damp weather. The fix was simply to replace the coil. Toyota dealers usually want to sell you the whole distributor for $500. I'm not sure if they sell the coil seperately. You can get an aftermarket coil for around $50-$60 and replace it yourself. I got one at Pep Boys some years ago. I think it was a Borg Warner unit. This involves removing the distributor to access the coil. This is an easy repair if you are comfortable with removing and reinstalling the distributor.

Mike

omiimiish
05-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks;

I am going to try the new coil. I will also put dielectric grease on the connections. The spark plugs had it on already with the previous set of wires. If there is a history of coil issues I will follow up with it.

Thanks for the replies, open for more suggestions...

dave i

Add your comment to this topic!