1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rear Power Vents Not Working

jrozanc
05-30-2007, 07:44 AM
We have a 98 with 98K miles (3.3L)

On the driver side door there are 2 switches to open the rear left/right vents. Neither switch works. The 2 switch's above it (for the front left/right windows) do work. "Shooting from the hip" tells me there is probably either a problem with a blown fuse or maybe a portion of the switch assembly in the door might be bad. I checked the owners manual for a fuse reference, but the manual says the fuse for the power window's are only made for "dealer" access. Is this true? Is there a fuse I can check? Any trouble shooting tips anybody can provide would be appreciated. Thank you

RIP
05-30-2007, 11:02 AM
First step: buy a maintenance manual for your van. $20 at most auto parts stores, Amazon, etc. The manual will have a schematic to trace the circuit and tell you how to remove components. Some libraries have them.

If the front windows are working, the fuses are good as they protect circuits for front and rear. Same for the ground. Push on the window with moderate force as you try to open them. If they open, it's likely the drive motors are weak and need to be replaced. If both windows stopped working at the same time I would suspect the switch circuit is toast. There are several threads on this subject. Have you tried a search?

Spit
06-04-2007, 03:34 PM
You should check for voltage at the vent motors. They are fairly easy to get to. You need to remove some of the plastic trim around the rear door and back out a couple of screws on the side panels. You should read +12 volts when you engage the switch in one direction and -12volts in the oppisite direction (open - close). If you don't have voltage at the motors then check for voltage in/out at the switch.

I just had to replace one of the motors on my 97. In my case the switch and wiring were fine...The driver's side motor crapped out. Dealer wanted $90 for a motor...got one at a junk yard for $10.

Spit

ggratecc
06-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Yes, I have a 98 voyager and had the same problem with driver's side
vent. I bought a new motor/mechanism, removed the trim easily,
then replaced it. with a few tools you can doityourself.

Add your comment to this topic!