Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Jerky Speedometer

wildcatsua
05-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Just bought a 03 Accord. Even though it had a clean carfax it has obviously had a lot of body work done. I'm OK with that because we got a smokin' deal but there is 1 problem. The speedometer moves in jerky jumps and it's about 10 mph off. Any help would be appreciated. thx

somick
06-05-2007, 05:32 PM
The search points to a faulty VSS sensor.

Sam

luvmyhonda
06-10-2007, 12:14 AM
speed sensor or transmission prob. most cars tach and speedometer are attached to transmission. newr computerized cars tend to have speed sensors connected to transmission. if you notice the slightest jerking when you notice speedometer jerking then its def a trans prob. and you have to pay close attention, hondas hydrolic motor mounts do absorb a lot of vibration.

wildcatsua
06-10-2007, 09:01 AM
The guy we bought from generously offered to repair. He replaced the cluster yesterday with a used one he got somewhere and the problem went away.

Additional learnings: the cluster is very easy to service - only 1 screw on the trim panel and 2 screws on the cluster and it comes right out, the car mileage is stored in the cluster. The guy who changed it was very surprised about this. He said he works on a lot of GM's and their mileage is in the brain and does not carry with the cluster.

So now the new cluster had about 7,000 miles less than the original, does anyone know an easy and cheap way to add miles?

Thanks!

00accord44
06-10-2007, 11:09 AM
If I lose 7K on my odo I'm smiling about it and walking away

Add your comment to this topic!