Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Modern Classics

gmofftarki
05-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Inspired by the "Best Headturner Under 40k" thread. What car, produced since the year 2000, do you think will be looked at in 20-50 years as having been a classic? Separate it by category if need be (ie. Exotic, Technological, Mid-Range, Budget, Already-Classic-Redesign or whatever other categories you can come up with).

Technological: It'd be difficult to deny the impact that the Toyota Prius has had on recent car design. More and more companies are coming out with hybrid vehicles, and more efficient engine designs, not to mention the greater spread of CVT transmissions (See: Altima). There has also been a greater focus on alternative fuels, such as biodiesel, E85, fully electric, compressed natural gas, et cetera.

Mid-Range: The Nissan 350Z has a classic curved design, without being overly ostentatious. Fast, stylish, and even with a relatively decent amount of utility (ie. the trunk space isn't horribly tiny) while retaining character. Also available in a fairly wide range of trims and prices, while retaining the unique character of the vehicle.

Budget: Can't really see much in this category as being a "future classic", other than maybe something along the lines of the Scion vehicles, which, along with Kia, Saturn, and Hyundai, have pushed forward the featureset you get in a vehicle for 10-15,000 dollars past what you received with the Corollas and Civics of yore, which, in their own right, came with the most important thing: Bulletproof construction.

Exotic: Everyone has their own favorite exotic car. Tempted though I be to put in the Lotus Elise, if only because it seems the most immediately accessible, I would be remiss if I didn't go for something with big V8+ power in a small body. As such, I go with the Maserati Coupe, which was one of the first exotics to feature widespread use of the F1 paddle-shifters (I may be mistaken on this point, it's purely from memory), as well as a design relatively free of the excessive numbers of hood scoops and side scoops that seem to plague other italian designs.

Luxury: In a field of cars like the Bentley Continental, the Rolls-Royce Phantom, and lesser-priced cars like the BMW 750s and Audi A8's, my choice seems a bit controversial, even to me. Yet I feel impelled to choose the Volkswagen Phaeton, a well-made, powerful, luxury car with a feeling that it was meant to be driven by its owner, not the chauffeur on duty (as in the case of the Bentley and the RR). Beautiful classical lines give it a sense of "getting down to business". A personal, though obviously unpopular, favorite that I hope one day to own (as they stopped production), something that is sure to contribute to its progression into Classicdom.

Focus: Add categories if you must, give your own suggestions of cars in the pre-existing categories, et cetera, but try not to get into a flamefest. Keep in mind, though, that we're not talking about "Best Car In Category X" so much as "Car that will be talked about most in the future, in Category X". As a reminder, car must have been produced since the year 2000 for some period of time.

sickcallawayc12
05-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Very very interesting thread sir. This will generate a lot of opinions for sure. I can only speak on two categories (for now).

I say the Saturn S-Series in budget. Easy to maintain, great on gas, safe, light, and cheap, even for a really good one.

Golf R32 for mid-range. 4WD, 240 horses, six-speed, nice interior, nice handling, and has a slightly different design compared to the other Golfs, but isn't as excessive like an STi or something like that.

Add your comment to this topic!