Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

"Tune-up" or maintenance questions

jamyers
05-29-2007, 11:09 AM
This has likely been addressed already, but I had no luck searching for it here...

I've got an '01 LeSabre w/ 95,000 miles, and I want it to last forever. :naughty: What preventative maintenance or tune-up steps should I be doing, apart from regular oil changes? (I've got the 2-volume Chassis Manual, btw).

The plug wires and one coil were replaced at 60K miles due to a misfire. Other than that and a power steering line, everything on the engine is original.

The mileage seems a bit off lately, hwy 30-31 instead of 32-34. Otherwise, it's running fine.

I recently pulled the front three spark plugs, thinking I'd change them all out, but frankly the original ones looked nearly brand new, and the gaps were within spec - hadly worn at all from what I could see. Should I change them anyways?

It shows no codes on a scanner.

I've heard of checking for "lazy injectors", what exactly is that and how do I check them? What's the best way to clean / check the injectors?

Also, is there anything I should be watching for regarding the Coolant and Intake/EGR leak? I should be replacing the coolant according to the schedule, but I'm a bit leery of disturbing anything. When I do replace the coolant, is the Dex-Cool that much better than regular ethlene glycol?

jamyers
05-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Beuhler? ... Beuhler?

spinne1
06-01-2007, 12:59 AM
I've got an '01 LeSabre w/ 95,000 miles, and I want it to last forever.Now THAT'S funny. You have a GM product, right? While certainly fine vehicles in some ways, "last forever" was never part of the planning over at engineering.

What preventative maintenance or tune-up steps should I be doing, apart from regular oil changes? (I've got the 2-volume Chassis Manual, btw).Change your tranny fluid when you are supposed to and also keep your power steering fluid up. Lubricate your chassis when it needs it. Replace struts/shocks when worn. Change fuel filter before it gets clogged with sediment (at normal interval). Inspect vacuum hoses. Keep your tires balanced, rotated, inflated, and aligned. Check for engine codes every so often. Have the brake rotors turned at the recommended interval. Change your timing set soon. Check your cam magnet while in there. Have your radiator professionally flushed at the recommended interval. I don't know about Dex Cool versus regular anti-freeze but it seems smarter to stick with the best for your system (but it could all be a bit of a scam to need Dex Cool). Change your air filter. Consider having your AC system evacuated, the accumulator replaced, the orifice tube checked, and the whole system recharged. (not really necessary, but will help with cooling if the old accumulator is basically saturated)

The mileage seems a bit off lately, hwy 30-31 instead of 32-34. Otherwise, it's running fine.Tire inflation, alignment, and many other things contribute to mileage. I hope it bounces back.
I recently pulled the front three spark plugs, thinking I'd change them all out, but frankly the original ones looked nearly brand new, and the gaps were within spec - hadly worn at all from what I could see. Should I change them anyways?That seems pretty amazing that plugs with 95,000 would still look brand new. I'd replace them anyhow. They are cheap to change.

It shows no codes on a scanner.Ignore my advice above to check for codes.

I've heard of checking for "lazy injectors", what exactly is that and how do I check them? What's the best way to clean / check the injectors?I don't know how to check them, but I've read how to check them several times. Part of it is checking the resistance of the injector. Part of it is checking the flow, I think. I have read that cleaning the injectors generally is a waste of time and money because gasoline has additives to perform this very function.

Also, is there anything I should be watching for regarding the Coolant and Intake/EGR leak? I should be replacing the coolant according to the schedule, but I'm a bit leery of disturbing anything. When I do replace the coolant, is the Dex-Cool that much better than regular ethlene glycol?If you have coolant in your oil, you are likely in trouble. If not, check for wetness or a loss of coolant, but otherwise don't sweat it too much.

jamyers
06-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Now THAT'S funny. You have a GM product, right? While certainly fine vehicles in some ways, "last forever" was never part of the planning over at engineering.

Well, of course nothing lasts forever...but my other two cars are a '62 Ranchero and a '71 LeSabre, each with several 100K miles on them, and I'm hoping to keep the '01 around just as long.

Thanks for the tips and info!

'97ventureowner
06-04-2007, 10:50 AM
I've got an '01 LeSabre w/ 95,000 miles, and I want it to last forever. :naughty: What preventative maintenance or tune-up steps should I be doing, apart from regular oil changes?

The mileage seems a bit off lately, hwy 30-31 instead of 32-34. Otherwise, it's running fine.

I recently pulled the front three spark plugs, thinking I'd change them all out, but frankly the original ones looked nearly brand new, and the gaps were within spec - hadly worn at all from what I could see. Should I change them anyways?

Also, is there anything I should be watching for regarding the Coolant and Intake/EGR leak? I should be replacing the coolant according to the schedule, but I'm a bit leery of disturbing anything. When I do replace the coolant, is the Dex-Cool that much better than regular ethlene glycol?
Follow GM's recommendations found in your owners manual to see what preventative maintenance should be done at what mileage interval. Many of the vehicles I've seen in the shop over the years that are "old"and in excellent condition, or have over 200 to 300,000+ miles on them were taken care of by their owners who followed the charts for maintenance in their owners manuals.
On the subject of gas mileage, what you are experiencing may be "normal". There have been reports in the media lately that people are experiencing up to a 3% or more drop in mileage since a fuel additive MBTE was removed from the fuel supply over concerns of groundwater contamination. It was used as an oxygenator and it's removal has led to a slight decline in fuel economy.
At 95,000 miles I think it's time to change the plugs, even if they show no outwards signs of degradation. For the fairly small cost of the plugs you might find that might correct your decline in fuel economy. GM may say they use 100,000 mile plugs, but it is a good idea to check and replace if needed before that.
In regards for watching for coolant leaks, keep an eye on your coolant level to watch for sudden drops in the level. Also check the underside of your oil filler cap for signs of a mayonnaise-type deposit,which could mean coolant is mixing with your oil. Also I wouldn't follow GM's old recommendations on changing out the coolant. The old recommendation of 5 years /150,000 miles has shown to be too long of a wait to do so, and problems have been known to develop. You should stick with the DexCool as it is formulated for your engine with the proper protection package. Just follow the old schedule for coolant change the way people used to for the old ethylene glycol( green coolant)or every 2 to 3 years and 30 to 40,000 miles.

Add your comment to this topic!