Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tacoma PreRunner Brake Problem

macanas
05-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey Board I have a problem with the rotors on my 2000 PreRunner. I have changed them twice and they still shake when I brake what can the problem be? The new rotors that I have put on are the TruStop rotos with Orginal Toyota Brake pads. Can anyone tell me what the problem can be with the new brakes that I have installed. All information will be appreciated regarding my brake problem. Thanks Macanas This is how I feel about this problem:banghead:

Flash75
05-29-2007, 04:19 AM
Maybe cupped or unevenly worn tires. Try switching them back to front, front to back. Are TruStop rotors different than the stock rotor? Did you install new pads with the rotors?

Clifton

TcmaBoy
05-29-2007, 11:12 PM
Have you checked out the ball joints and wheel bearings?

macanas
05-30-2007, 07:40 PM
The rotors are slotted for better cooling. The pads are new from Toyota. The ball joints do not appear to have any play in them when I try to wiggle the tire up and down. I havn't checked the wheel bearings, though I can't imagine the wheel bearings being the problem. When I wiggle the tire from side to side, it appears like the rack and pinion has a little bit of play from where the mounts are. I checked for tightness on the brackets that hold the rack in place, and everything is tight. This problem has been ongoing for many years. I've replaced the rotors and pads twice and in a short while, it begins to shake upon braking. I sincerely don't drive the truck hard, to the point that the brakes overheat. WTF!!!:screwy:

springworks.com
06-02-2007, 11:43 AM
The first check we do to determine if there is a rotor problem is check for run out. Check for run out on all rotors and or drums. If there is no run out then you can rest assured the problem is somewhere else. Soon www.springworks.com (http://www.springworks.com) will have a complete brake trouble shooting section.

Add your comment to this topic!