Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

dash guages and speedometer not working

Poolboy365
05-28-2007, 04:53 PM
I have a 1998 Jeep wrangler and I was trying to replace my car cd player I took everything out and tried to put the new one in. When i realized that i didnt have the right wiring harness i connected everything back up and put the old one back in. Upon doing this i found that there was no power to the cd player and also the Tacometer, speedomiter, gas guage and oil gage were not working. I checked the fuses and it looked like none were blown. If anyone knows what could be wrong or how to fix this Please please please help me.

Ray H
05-29-2007, 05:05 PM
I have a 1998 Jeep wrangler and I was trying to replace my car cd player I took everything out and tried to put the new one in. When i realized that i didnt have the right wiring harness i connected everything back up and put the old one back in. Upon doing this i found that there was no power to the cd player and also the Tacometer, speedomiter, gas guage and oil gage were not working. I checked the fuses and it looked like none were blown. If anyone knows what could be wrong or how to fix this Please please please help me.

Theres an electrical connection behind the gauge pod that all the gauge inputs run through. This connector will sometimes vibrate lose or in your case, maybe you knocked it lose or didnt put it back together enough. Another indicator that this connector is lose is a message on the odometer that reads "No Bus".
To fix this, you pull the gauge pod out, just a matter of a few screws and bolts, find the connector and pull it apart and slightly bend/twist the male side of the contacts so they fit tighter into the female side. Smear some dielectric grease on the connector to seal it and put everything back together.

scoobytuff
06-03-2007, 09:27 PM
I did that to mine a year ago and have had no problems since. It beats the dealer fix of splicing in a new harness.

Add your comment to this topic!