Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Universal or Isuzu Shackles? ...Gizmo or anyone

Ramblin Fever
05-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Am going to have a 2" lift done on the Rodeo via cranking the front torsion bars and replacing the original shackles. Advanced Auto has universal shackles that have a 2nd bolt placement spot for a 2" lift, or I can get Isuzu shackles from Calmini (IIRC).

2nd question - do I absolutely NEED to flip the ball joints, I've read on the Planet of some people flipping their ball joints with 3" lifts, but I only want a 2" or so.

amigo-2k
05-28-2007, 11:41 AM
I would personally with independent4x shackles. the auto-part store ones are probably made in china, and calmini or probably over priced.

as for the flip, if you are only doing a 2" I wouldn't worry about it. the flip only gives you about 0.25 to 0.5 inches of extra drop.

Gizmo42
05-28-2007, 12:18 PM
The universal shackles may or may not hold up. I've never used them on anything. The problem with going with indy4x is they only have 1.5" or 3" lift kits, no 2". You could try PM or emailing Joe Darlington and see if he has any left. Even though DOR is closed down he still has some stuff in stock that he's willing to sell. Calmini is probably the most expensive option.

As far as the flip, try it without first. As A2K said it doesnt offer all that much difference. You can always go back and do it if needed.

Ramblin Fever
05-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Ok, if I do a 3", would I need new shocks?

I have Gabriel Sport shocks.

Gizmo42
05-28-2007, 02:44 PM
You would either need longer shocks or shock extenders (http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=1229) I dont know if your year has the post top style rear shocks. I went with the extenders on mine since my shocks are only about a year old, but I'm looking at getting some stiffer shocks. These sensa tracs arent stiff enough for really big rocks. I did run into a problem with the extenders, those are for fine thread and I found out monroe uses a corse thread. I ended up rethreading the shock post (just forced on a fine thread nut) and they seem to be working fine. If you dont extend or get longer shocks the rears will be almost full extension sitting level. The fronts you want to keep stock length.

Ramblin Fever
05-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Ok, well, I already cranked the front up 1.5" - I think I'll be happy with a 2" lift, as I already have a 2" supposed lift right now, with the bigger then OEM tires.

The rear shackles, are still a question for me, as on Independent 4x, they are only listing the 1.5" shackles, and he wants almost $60 for the shackle kit (new bushings are probably best on an almost 11yr old rig)

On Calmini, they want $50

Advanced Auto only wants $20 for the universal set.

Will I need new shocks/extenders with a 2" lift??

Obviously front shocks are ok either way??

Gizmo42
05-28-2007, 05:38 PM
I thought the calmini ones would be more then that (didnt look at prices). For that price they would be worth a try and they are the size you want. Should be much stronger then the auto parts store universal ones.

You could try without shock extenders and see what happens. They might still be a bit short. I beleive mr gasket also makes 1.5" extenders which would help.

Ramblin Fever
05-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Ok, the universal shackles have an 8 bolt, whereas the Calmini only comes with a 5 bolt - think the universal ones may be stronger?

Also, do I need to get a one peice driveshaft - or can I stay with what I have? If this is involved as well, then I'm not gonna go any further.

Gizmo42
05-28-2007, 10:20 PM
The bolts for the universal one are at least stronger. But the stock bolts are a 5 as well. Guess its a toss up.

Forgot yours has the 2 peice shaft with the carrier bearing. The more you lift it the faster your carrier bearing will die (no idea how fast though). The big reason most ppl go with 1 peice shaft is because its only a few $ more to have one made then it costs for just the new bearing.

Ramblin Fever
05-29-2007, 12:35 AM
After more research, namingly a gentleman with the handle of mdocod (IIRC) from the planet, he too started out with the Advanced Auto shackles as well, for only 6 months, then issues begin with them not being of correct size, etc.

Sooo, I'm going to order a 1.5 or 2" shackle, haven't completely decided yet, and go from there, probably from Indy.

I will NOT go over 2" as it seems this is when a lot of issues and expenses arise, specifically alignment issues, brake lines, carrier bearing, etc - I've never had to replace major parts, don't want to start now.

Seems I could definitely run a 1.5" lift and be just fine, with everything - still wondering though, if I could throw 2" shackles on the back and run the front at 1.5 - I do like the front being down a slight tad from the rear.

Really don't want to have to replace the rear shocks, they are not very old - and I didn't really intend to throw a lot of money at it either.

Thank you greatly for your input Giz, I do have the Tokico Trekmaster shocks in the rear - I'm hoping these are good for 2" shackles, I'll do more research.

Gizmo42
05-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Seems I could definitely run a 1.5" lift and be just fine, with everything - still wondering though, if I could throw 2" shackles on the back and run the front at 1.5 - I do like the front being down a slight tad from the rear.

When we did Protetypes lift we measured everything before starting and his was an inch lower in the front then the back. As far as we know his t-bars had never been touched. So when we lifted it we kept the 1" rake in it. Mine was even front to back but when I lifted it I gave it a 1/2" rake with all my tools in the back which are always there. Dunno how much it has without all the extra weight.

Add your comment to this topic!