Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

GMLAN and aftermarket radio. Compatability issues??

videobruce
05-28-2007, 10:14 AM
I have gotten mixed reports regarding removing the base stock GM radio and replaceing it with a aftermarket radio. Anywhere from the airbag NOT deploying in a crash to the car not passing the NYS emission inspection. No, I'm not making this up.

The radio is only the base model. with NO "Preference" controls. It can't even change the level of the 'chime'. With this class 2 data bus, where everything is tied into the LAN system, this has me worried with all these stories I have heard from local stores that sell radios.

Since this unit has no data functions other than being tied into the data bus for radio related issues (DTCs') and the 'chime' feature (which I could live without), if I don't go with one of those overpriced ($80-$100) adapter cable assemblies with the chime interface, is there any problem with this??

GMLAN and aftermarket radio. Compatability issues??

PaulD
05-28-2007, 06:30 PM
I honestly don't know ... I am one of millions of disenfranchised americans that will never buy another american made car, so I know very little about them and most install shops will shy away from cars with that level of tied in functionality.

videobruce
05-29-2007, 06:24 AM
This is my first GM vehicle. Neither Chrysler, nor Ford had anything that fit my bill. Your foreign cars have their own issues as in expensive replacement parts unless something changed in the past 10 or so years.

Anyway, anyone familar with GMs' LAN data bus?

sickcallawayc12
05-29-2007, 09:17 AM
What kind of vehicle? Do you have OnStar or anything?

You might as well get the adapter to play it safe (looking on Ebay may prove to be a cheaper option). If it's tied into the DTC/OBD II, i'm guessing it will throw a code when not connected properly and cause the light to go on, thus not pass inspection.

videobruce
05-29-2007, 09:39 AM
2005 Chevy Classic

NO OnStar,
NO Preferences control,
NO external amp.

I really don't feel like paying $80 for a part that should cost $30 at best to hear chimes.
BTW, with the radio disconnected it sends a DTC; U1128 that just says communication with the radio was lost.

pimprolla112
05-29-2007, 11:09 AM
This is my first GM vehicle. Neither Chrysler, nor Ford had anything that fit my bill. Your foreign cars have their own issues as in expensive replacement parts unless something changed in the past 10 or so years.

Anyway, anyone familar with GMs' LAN data bus?

Just a little of topic, parts for most domestics are foreign made. A lot of import engines are so well designed that they will run for 200-250k miles without breaking a part. And the prices are about the same for both foreign and domestic for parts. The only time it gets expansive is when you let the mechanics try to do the work, they charge out rageous prices just to run a scanner. ANd thats for both types of vehicles. On a side note i own both a honda accord and a chevy s10 as well as a few other vehicles.

AS for the data setup. Im not 100% sure what you are trying to do, but my uncle ran wires to the back of the trunk and has his facotry HU back there so he could hook up his kenwood HU in the front. This is on a 03 sunfire.

sickcallawayc12
05-29-2007, 11:16 AM
I can't see a problem with skipping the adapter then. I'm only guessing though since you have a base radio and not any of those optional features that you would still be able to control with the adapter. I would check the NY inspection office to make sure that won't cause you to fail(you never know).

PaulD
05-29-2007, 07:54 PM
I would actually like to know what this "adapter" really is .... I am guessing it's little more than a terminator for some data lines.

videobruce
05-30-2007, 08:11 AM
I would check the NY inspection office to make sure that won't cause you to fail Would they even know that?? I would actually like to know what this "adapter" really is A small circuit board with either a 'transducer' to reproduce the 'chime' or just a PCB with leads going to the LF speaker for the chime (as in the orginal).
The lowest price I have seen (non OnStar/external amp/Bose) is $40. The highest is $120 both from American International;

http://www.millionbuy.com/aigwh22.html

http://www.millionbuy.com/aincgm39c.html

http://www.caraudioimage.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1609&CFID=46586&CFTOKEN=78778206

NAVY IC
06-02-2007, 11:59 AM
i have a 03 trailblazer (f?cking gas hogg) excuse my last...
i got the onstar, bose, computer, amps, steering wheel you know, the whole 9....
drop the couple of bucks for the adapter....
for as long as you'll use your car it's a small price to pay

Add your comment to this topic!