Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need Help ASAP Carburator on Ram 50 Problems...

johnosbourn
05-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Hello,
Okay, so my friends truck is an early 90's Dodge Ram 50. It died on me while I was driving. I checked the fluids, then water was fine, but the oil was completely gone, so I added more 10w 30 oil to the truck. It still didn't start. I then noticed that this "mist" was coming out of the carburator, it smelled like gasoline. I stuck my finger on there and got a black liquid on my fingers which looked like oil, but I'm not sure. Could anyone help me out here? Thank you so much.

John Osbourn

Chris Stewart
05-26-2007, 04:10 PM
The mist is likely the result of an intake valve stuck open a bit during the compression stroke...might be bent or cam timing is way off like the timing chain/belt needs replacing.
The black oil in the carburetor indicates the piston rings are shot, worn out and allowing most of the combustion gasses to leak into the crankcase. These crankcase gasses are then pulled back into the intake system with the Closed Crankcase Ventilation system. The air filter is likely oil saturated too.
How long have you driven it?

johnosbourn
05-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Wow, all that is wrong with it. Jeeze. My friend bought it used from a guy a little less than a month ago. Is there a "quick solution" just to get it back to the house, and thats it.

scott83
06-09-2007, 01:17 AM
the mist could of just been combustion actually.. but it having no oil in it can cause alot of problems in a quick matter of time.. has it restarted yet?

Add your comment to this topic!