Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

what does a transmission slip feel like?

mike561
05-24-2007, 03:05 PM
I was taking a left turn today, i was slowly stepping on the gas as well when it suddenly felt like i went over a bump and the back tires made a slight screech too. i diddnt see anything in the road that i could have gone over, so it concerned me about the tranny. note there IS fluid and its redish-pink in color, and kind of smells like crayons. either way im going to have the fluid and the tranny itself checked ASAP :uhoh:

Scrapper
05-24-2007, 03:34 PM
you'll know when it slips it might go into gear it could shift hard or sluggish when it shift's to another gear.first thing i'd do is change fluid and filter and look for metal shavings in fluid you can take a magnet to do this.....good luck.

PeteA216
05-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Also be sure the TV cable isn't out of adjustment. I ruined a 700-R4 because it was adjusted too loose and was literally letting go inbetween gears. It was like I was doing neutral drops during each shift.

silicon212
05-24-2007, 04:30 PM
A transmission slip feels just like that - a slip. Imagine driving on ice.

Your engine will hit higher-than-normal RPMs, yet the car will feel like it lost power - as if you shifted into neutral.

mike561
05-24-2007, 05:17 PM
hmm well it diddnt exactly feel like i was on ice, but im still worried, im gonna have it checked out though to be safe, have the fluid and screen replaced.

PeteA216
05-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Before doing that, how many miles does the car have on it? Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but isn't more harmful to a transmission to change the fluid if it's gone past a certain number of miles (unless of course the fluid had been burnt)? I remember once a few years back a mechanic telling me that after a certain point a transmission relys on the built up metallic particles as lubricant because of how finely worn (kind of like microscopic ball bearings) they are and removing them can actually hurt the tranny. I could be dead wrong though.

evildragon
05-25-2007, 05:00 AM
mine usually always shifts hard, but I think that more has to do with my engines weak horse power and hesitation (im still trying to fix that! :( )

mike561
05-25-2007, 12:10 PM
it doesnt smell burnt, it diddnt look dirty either, actually it was pretty clear. hard to tell how old it is though. the odometer says its got 26000, but that could very well be 126000 or even 226000, even though according to the title im only the second owner, the first of which were old people.

silicon212
05-25-2007, 03:36 PM
How was the level?

PeteA216
05-25-2007, 03:44 PM
When checking the level make sure the engine is running.

mike561
05-25-2007, 05:58 PM
yeah it seems to be at a good level from what i can see on the dipstick.

beat88ls
05-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Before doing that, how many miles does the car have on it? Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but isn't more harmful to a transmission to change the fluid if it's gone past a certain number of miles (unless of course the fluid had been burnt)? I remember once a few years back a mechanic telling me that after a certain point a transmission relys on the built up metallic particles as lubricant because of how finely worn (kind of like microscopic ball bearings) they are and removing them can actually hurt the tranny. I could be dead wrong though.

i was always told if the trans didn't have regular fluid changes (every 30k) that you shouldn't chance changing it, because changing it can cause problems. i got pretty much the same info as you, but mine came from a trans shop

GreyGoose006
05-29-2007, 06:58 AM
i'd say that you were BS'd

how could it possibly hurt to change out the worn out crap and put new stuff in

PeteA216
05-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Because the fluid gets so worn that the transmission becomes "accustomed" to the metal fragments and actually relys on it for proper lubrication. Sort of like how graphite is used to lubricate things. The metal after all those miles gets so finely ground up that it acts as a solid lubricant and the transmission forms a wear pattern based on the metallic fragments and removing them will cause the transmission to have to re-wear and sometimes if a transmission is already pretty worn it can push it over the edge to failure.

beat88ls
05-29-2007, 11:20 PM
pete is almost exactly quoting what i was told by my local trans shop.

PeteA216
05-30-2007, 08:39 AM
pete is almost exactly quoting what i was told by my local trans shop.
Wow, maybe I should get into being a tranny guy!

silicon212
05-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Wow, maybe I should get into being a tranny guy!

Uhhh ... I hope you don't live in San Francisco! LOL.

What happens is that over the years, the metal accumulation in the oil will find its way onto the worn clutch discs, which use it in place of the now-useless friction modifiers in the worn oil. New oil washes these deposits away, which results in the death of the transmission as these imbedded metal particles are almost all of what's left of the friction material.

GreyGoose006
05-31-2007, 06:40 PM
hmmm.
fair enough

i still think that the best thing to do is to change your fluid regularly and not get yourself into these precarious situations

PeteA216
05-31-2007, 10:55 PM
i still think that the best thing to do is to change your fluid regularly
Agreed, but for those who have gotten thier cars with high mileage already put onto them, I'd say it's best not to chance it unless absolutely necesary.

mike561
06-05-2007, 04:41 PM
since this is a tranny topic, i was backing into a spot and when it was in reverse i put it back into drive to straighten out, and i herd a big "clunk" is that bad? it still shifts and fuctions fine. im going to have the tranny fluid flushed soon, my mechanic says everything else looks good, just that the fluid was a little dirty but not too bad.

silicon212
06-05-2007, 07:51 PM
since this is a tranny topic, i was backing into a spot and when it was in reverse i put it back into drive to straighten out, and i herd a big "clunk" is that bad? it still shifts and fuctions fine. im going to have the tranny fluid flushed soon, my mechanic says everything else looks good, just that the fluid was a little dirty but not too bad.

That "clunk" is generally the result of worn U-joints, but can also result from wear in the rear axle. U-joints are NOT hard to replace at all, as long as you've got a good hammer (I use a 3-lb cross-pien) and two sockets - one that fits within the cap and one that fits over the cap - so you can drive the old one out. They're also pretty cheap (under $10).

PeteA216
06-05-2007, 09:27 PM
My Caprice does the same thing, as does my pickup. The caprice has done it since I've owned it and the truck has done it since it was brand new. I don't know about the Caprice, but I know the truck has play in the differential gears because you can move the driveshaft back and fourth by hand a little without moving the wheels.

mike561
06-05-2007, 09:50 PM
k so it doesnt sound too major then

Scrapper
06-06-2007, 09:40 AM
your fywheel could be loose also if it's not the u/joint's or even torkconverter and check the pinion bearing....good luck..

silicon212
06-06-2007, 10:26 AM
your fywheel could be loose also if it's not the u/joint's or even torkconverter and check the pinion bearing....good luck..

It won't be the flywheel (actually a flex plate on these engines) or the torque converter if it does it on a shift from reverse to drive and vice versa.

Add your comment to this topic!