Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is MERCON and MERCON V Compatible?

Coastie John
05-24-2007, 04:14 AM
I think I read on the label of a MERCON V container they were compatible. I don't recall seeing that on the MERCON label. I have the 2000 Winnie.

I don't recall off the top of my head so I'll have to double check the owners manual against the Haynes Manual to see what each calls for.

Thanks....John

RickMN
05-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Mercon V is the fluid should be used on 1998 and newer Windstars. It is NOT compatible with older cars

Johnny Mullet
05-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Mercon V is a synthetic trans fluid and cannot be substituted for Mercon or Dextron or anything else.

MARZBX157
05-24-2007, 11:49 PM
The 2000 winnie transmission calls for Mercon V, DO NOT use regular Mercon or it will cause problems. Also, Ford will no longer be marketing the Mercon label as of this year so every vehicle will eventually be using Mercon V. Hope this helps.

lapin_windstar
05-25-2007, 09:43 AM
So if you have a newer Windstar and you're supposed to use Mercon V, use only Mercon V. But if you have an older Windstar and your recommended fluid is Mercon, it's OK to "upgrade" to Mercon V (in fact, by the end of the year you'll have to because they won't license Mercon any more)?

wiswind
05-25-2007, 09:25 PM
That is correct.
If the vehicle calls for Mercon V....you MUST use a product that is labeled MERCON V or a product that is labeled as BOTH MERCON V and Mercon.

If the vehicle calls for Mercon, you can use a product labeled as Mercon only.....or MERCON V or Both.

FORD TSB 06-14-4 states this.....and that FORD is phasing out the Mercon fluid....and replacing with Mercon V.

This TSB supercedes former TSB's that stated otherwise.

Add your comment to this topic!