Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Blazer differential Leak

jetfixerdw
05-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Hey All,

I have a 2000 Blazer and I have a gear oil leak where the left axle shaft connects to the differential. It is also making a vibration/bad bearing noise from 30mph up. I am wondering if maybe a bearing wiped out the oil seal. Anyone ever had this problem? Any help would be appreciated before a take it to the stealership.

Sparky1349
05-23-2007, 12:35 AM
Hey All,

I have a 2000 Blazer and I have a gear oil leak where the left axle shaft connects to the differential. It is also making a vibration/bad bearing noise from 30mph up. I am wondering if maybe a bearing wiped out the oil seal. Anyone ever had this problem? Any help would be appreciated before a take it to the stealership.

Is there any play in the axle shaft where it enters the diff, if yes then for sure the bad bearing wiped out the seal. Even it there is not any play the bearing needs to be replace due to the noise/vibration, seal will be replaced at the same time. For me the noise/vibe is a bigger concern than the leak.

Sparky

muddog321
05-23-2007, 06:34 AM
Yes that can happens usually from low diff oil. Have to pull the cover and remeove the C-clip and then the caliper bracket to pull the axle - I'd do both sides at same time bearings and seals. As for axle play believe Sparky meant up/down play cause all GMs have in/out play in the axles and feel sloppy and thats normal (for GMs). You also have inner bearings too under the center caps not pressed on the axles.

Sparky1349
05-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Yes that can happens usually from low diff oil. Have to pull the cover and remeove the C-clip and then the caliper bracket to pull the axle - I'd do both sides at same time bearings and seals. As for axle play believe Sparky meant up/down play cause all GMs have in/out play in the axles and feel sloppy and thats normal (for GMs). You also have inner bearings too under the center caps not pressed on the axles.

Hey Muddog -I thought the the original complaint was for the front axle shaft (half shaft) were it goes into the front diff, althought there is not a lot of detail in the original post. If it is the rear I agree there could be in-out play that is normal. There is little or no play in front inner CV joints in & out (I believe). Regardless, my original comment still stands any axle bearing noise is a bad thing and should be addressed, 'cuz it's only going to get worse not better.

Sparky

muddog321
05-24-2007, 05:09 AM
Yep, could be the front I didn't even think he was asking that. As for the front if we are talking independent front end the CV axle on the inner is a constant velocity jooint and has a few inches in/out play as it can slide in the metal cup.

jetfixerdw
06-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks for all the info. It turned out to be an oil seal from the passenger side of the differential tube where it connects to the right cv joint. I took it to a guy to be replaced and now it doesn't go into 4wd high or low. The vacuum actuator seems to be working bu the 4wd high or low just blinks when I select it. The encoder motor shifts the transfer case when you select but the front axle doesn't engage. :banghead:

Add your comment to this topic!