Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Black power steering fluid?

CaptainTrips
05-22-2007, 03:56 AM
I have noticed my power steering fluid is black on my 93 corsica 3.1 and it makes a groaning noise if i steer all the way in one direction....
Is this something to be concerned about or is it a simple fix? (i hope its simple! lol)

CaptainTrips
05-24-2007, 05:03 PM
anyone?

jsgold
05-25-2007, 08:41 PM
It will make the noise when you steer all the way one direction, and they all do that. However, if you are having the noise when turning the whole way, then you might try and flush the system. I did this on my son's old Ford Explorer, (they are bad about about this) and it helped, but did not totally cure it. This would require you to unhook the return hose and have someone turn the wheel while you pour in fluid and at the same time have the old stuff drain into a bucket. I do not think it would be too difficult although I have not done this on our Corsica or Beretta. I also do not think it would difficult to replace the pump, but you would have to still flush the system prior to this, and then remove the air from the system afterward. This involves having someone turn the wheel from side to side (engine not running) and with both wheels off the ground so you can turn all the way several times.

PeteA216
05-27-2007, 11:16 PM
it makes a groaning noise if i steer all the way in one direction....

^Thats perfectly normal^
I have noticed my power steering fluid is black
^That isn't^ If you're not having any problems then odds are it isn't anything to worry about. But, I'd recommend simply taking out the existing fluid with suction of some sort (big "eye dropper" or turkey baster) and putting in some clean fluid. Use some Lucas power steering fix to help the pump work a little better, prolong it's life, stop any leaks, quiet it up a little, and stabilize the leftover old fluid.

Add your comment to this topic!