93 taurus transmission problems

hermtman
05-22-2007, 12:49 AM
I have a 93 ford taurus, and my overdrive has quite working. The transmission shifts perfectly, but will not go into overdrive for nothing. It doesnt slip, just doesnt shift. its the axode trans. Is there any adjustment i can do.

e_powers
05-22-2007, 05:27 AM
this is an indicator that you are due for a rebuild. sorry to break it to you this way.

shorod
05-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Welcome to the forum!

You don't necessarily need a rebuild for this. There is a $0.17 e-clip that breaks for the OD servo. It can be replaced from outside the transmission without even dropping the tranny pan. I had to replace this on my '93 Taurus SHO and it took less than 1 hour and $0.17 for a new clip from AutoZone. The OD worked great after I got it back together!

-Rod

hermtman
05-22-2007, 12:33 PM
This is a new transmission, it has been in the car less than six months. When it was put in it worked perfectly, still shifts 1st 2nd, and 3rd, just wont go into overdrive.

shorod
05-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Does the OD OFF light work properly if you attempt to turn the OD off? The broken e-clip is not necessarily due to fatigue, so I still wouldn't rule it out. Plus, for less effort than dropping the transmission pan, you could verify that either the e-clip is or is not broken.

-Rod

hermtman
05-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Mine doesnt have the on and off switch for the OD. where is the servo on the transmission, I cant seem to find it.

shorod
05-23-2007, 12:55 PM
The servo will be located on the rear of the transmission on the driver's side of the car (in the US). The servo is mounted on the vertical plane of the transmission housing and if memory serves correctly, the cover for the servo is held in place with three 10mm bolts. I'll see if I can resurrect my photo documentation I put together when I did this a few years back.

If you'd like to private message me with an e-mail address for you that can accept attachments, I'll send you the file when I find it on my home PC.

-Rod

hermtman
05-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Rod found the servo. you were right, the clip was broken. I replaced the clip, put it back together, and now my overdrive works perfect. thanks for all your help. you probably saved me a lot of money.

shorod
05-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Great, glad to hear it!

-Rod

Huney1
05-28-2007, 05:17 AM
YOU DA' MAN ROD, YOU DA' MAN! :ylsuper:

Add your comment to this topic!