Car only starts when it wants to..98 chevy monte carlo z34

lbenes18
05-22-2007, 12:16 AM
:banghead: This is becoming so annoying can someone please help me.....
It seems like it only does it when it is hot out because I have had no problems during the winter, just summer(i live in florida) anyways when I go to start my car it does nothing, the dash lights come on but it does not crank or click or anything. Then if you leave it sit for anywhere between 5-25 mins it will start. I have had my starter tested at advance auto parts and they said it was fine! Has anyone had this problem?:banghead:

NocturnalCreations
05-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Test for power at the starter. Test the small wire on the starter at the "key start" position for 12v and the large wire for constant 12v. Then post the results if necessary.

lbenes18
05-28-2007, 09:06 PM
well is that the same thing as having my starter tested at advance because i have done that twice?

Gems
06-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Ignition cylinder/passlock problem maybe??

adoublearonn
06-07-2007, 01:49 AM
When this occurs, does the security light flash when the ignition is on?

tim01fxdl
06-09-2007, 02:51 PM
I just bought a 96 z34 Monte....having major issues with it starting also..see's like low voltage..maybe. I put on hot batt. and drove 5 min. then won't start..I noticed a wire that went to +side of battery that was melted...it was the smaller wire and looked as though it had an aftermarket end/eye to connect it...help!?!

tim01fxdl
06-11-2007, 08:54 PM
OK fixed it...car was acting crazy..had bad connection at starter on +wire from battery. Everything is working fine now.

Leighanna
06-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Ignition cylinder/passlock problem maybe??

My car did the same thing as the original poster is talking and it was the Ignition...I took it to the show room and they put a new one in for a little over 300.00. not one problem since. My car had the issue for two years until it finally went completely out...I use to sit for hours at a time stranded and then it would just start out of the blue...a real pain!

badass87mcss
12-15-2007, 10:51 PM
:banghead: This is becoming so annoying can someone please help me.....
It seems like it only does it when it is hot out because I have had no problems during the winter, just summer(i live in florida) anyways when I go to start my car it does nothing, the dash lights come on but it does not crank or click or anything. Then if you leave it sit for anywhere between 5-25 mins it will start. I have had my starter tested at advance auto parts and they said it was fine! Has anyone had this problem?:banghead:

i notice this was posted a while ago but i had the exact same problem. the chip in my key was bad. went to the dealer got another one made havent had a problem since

z34montegirl
07-07-2008, 01:57 PM
When this occurs, does the security light flash when the ignition is on?

I have also been having problems with my 98 Z34 not starting and then starting when it wants to and my security light flashes and makes a clicking noise down by my pedals when it won't start. Battery is fine. Also, when I turn the key back, my stereo works until I touch my power windows, then it goes off, surges, and comes back on. :crying: I would appreciate any help with this problem at all. I love my ride and would hate to have to get rid of it. Thank you! :)

Debbie

z34montegirl
07-24-2008, 10:17 PM
I have also been having problems with my 98 Z34 not starting and then starting when it wants to and my security light flashes and makes a clicking noise down by my pedals when it won't start. Battery is fine. Also, when I turn the key back, my stereo works until I touch my power windows, then it goes off, surges, and comes back on. :crying: I would appreciate any help with this problem at all. I love my ride and would hate to have to get rid of it. Thank you! :)

Debbie

Yes, the security light does flash when on. It actually flashes all of the time now. I DID however notice that my positive on my battery was loose so that solved the 'starts sometimes' problem, thankfully.

Add your comment to this topic!