Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Pathy turns but won't start

pathfinderrs
05-21-2007, 12:42 PM
I have a 99.5 pathfinder SE. When I turn the key the engine has a strong crank, but just doesn't start..and doesn't even seem like it wants to start.
- battery and alternator are good.
- checked the fuel pump by just turning the key 3/4 and listening for the pump hissing noise, which was there.
- fuel tank is full and I pinched some fuel lines before the injectors and they seem pressurized.

Any ideas if my problems are with the alternator/rotor etc and how about I can test?

Thanks.

pathfinderrs
05-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Today...I tried starting it and on the third try after depressing the peddle it started. I drove it for about 30 minutes to charge up the battery and then stopped it. When I tried to restart it a few times...it wouldn't start, but then it started. I was then able to start it a few times thereafter.

Any idea why my truck is no longer reliable when starting? It still had a very good crank when turning the key, so I expect the batter and alternator are fine..and I do still hear the whinning noise when I turn the key 3/4 and listen for the fuel pump?

Scrapper
05-21-2007, 05:18 PM
fuel pumps you might hear them but it don't mean it got enough fuel presure..try this when it wont start spray some starting fluid in it and if it starts you know it's not getting gas or the right spark..

pathfinderrs
05-21-2007, 05:28 PM
ok thanks scrapper. I'll give it a try. Thanks, I didn't realize that a fuel pump can work, but just not as required to.. I figured either it worked or it didn't.

If it was the distributor cap and/or rotor parts....would they allow the truck to start intermitantly or would it just stop all together?

88pathoffroad
05-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Is the check engine light on? You can have your error codes checked free at most any local auto parts store.

pathfinderrs
05-21-2007, 05:31 PM
When I am able to start it...there isn't any check engine light on? Thanks...I didn't realize this...I'll go to a parts store and ask them.

pathfinderrs
05-21-2007, 07:10 PM
I tried starting the pathy a few times about 5 hours later than when I first tried today and it didn't start. It seemed that when I kept the peddle down and then turned the key 3/4 for a few seconds and then full turn to start...it seemed like it was going to start but then it goes back to just a dead crank?

frustration....can anyone help.

88pathoffroad
05-24-2007, 07:32 PM
It's difficult to impossible to diagnose starting problems over the internet with no pics, data or history. It could be any number of things.

pathfinderrs
05-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Well I hear the fuel pump whine when I turn the key.
I checked the first spark plug for spark on ignition and there is.
I changed all 6 spark plugs.
I changed the air filter.
I don't see any "service engine soon" light come on...so I assume it isn't a sensor.
It starts some times and then other times not.
Cleaned Throttle body.

Not entirely sure, but it seems to have trouble when engine is hot...but can't confirm this as always being the case.

Still having some trouble starting at times?

They say its either fuel, spark or compression?

corvair
05-31-2007, 06:23 PM
try spraying a bit of "O2 sensor safe" carb/throttle body cleaner into the intake. crank her over,if it fires up you have a fuel delivery prob.

FixUrNissan
05-31-2007, 08:36 PM
Sounds like you may have an injector stuck open and flooding it out, thats why when you have the gas pedal to the floor it tries to start or starts. If you put a fuel pressure gauge on it, Fuel pressure should be around 36 psi. After you shut the truck off or after you stop cranking. Watch the fuel pressure see how fast it drops. It should hold fuel pressure at 36 psi for at least 5 mins maybe more. Feel free to ask me any more questions.. Gl :)

pathfinderrs
06-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Last night when I tried starting it...it wouldn't. Tonight I tried starting it and it wouldn't at first but I dropped the peddle and then cranked it and it seemed to want to start. After a few tries, I didn't touch the peddle and it started? I'll try to put the fuel pressure gauge on it tonight.

redmansioner
06-14-2007, 04:00 AM
Have you checked the spark plugs already?If the fuel injector is okay then it could probably inside your nissan engine (http://www.shopnisparts.com/nissan-engine/) problem.

pathfinderrs
06-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Distributor, rotor, cap, wires, spark plugs have been chnged. Brought it to the dealer...ran a scan checked everything looked fine. Fuel pressure was good.

Anybody have the same problems?

flabigboy
06-20-2007, 07:37 PM
I have the same problem on a 98 with a 3.3 liter engine. I came home went to start the car 20mins later it kick spluttered back fired then died. It kept turning over but wouldn't start. I changed the crank position sensor which is easy if your wife has small hands $35 and the car fired right up but then died while driving 20minutes later. I have ordered a new distributor it is easy to replace but cost $275.00 will let you now if this works

pathfinderrs
06-21-2007, 06:50 PM
I have the same problem on a 98 with a 3.3 liter engine. I came home went to start the car 20mins later it kick spluttered back fired then died. It kept turning over but wouldn't start. I changed the crank position sensor which is easy if your wife has small hands $35 and the car fired right up but then died while driving 20minutes later. I have ordered a new distributor it is easy to replace but cost $275.00 will let you now if this works

Thanks. My problem was that my injectors didn't have a pulse. Turned out to be the relay.

How many clicks does your truck have? When it stops do you have spark? May also want to check the coolant temperature sensor.

flabigboy
06-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks. My problem was that my injectors didn't have a pulse. Turned out to be the relay.

How many clicks does your truck have? When it stops do you have spark? May also want to check the coolant temperature sensor.

Hi my pathfinder has 142,000 on it. It turned out to be the cam position sensor in the distributor. The nissan dealer who I went to for advice tried to convince me it was the timing belt that had jumped one cog I'm glad I didn't listen to him although I have changed the belt and did the water pump at the same time. How many miles does yours have how much was the relay. Thanks for the advice I'll keep it in mind if I have another problem sounds like very similar symptoms. Good luck with your car.

pathfinderrs
06-22-2007, 10:32 PM
I believe its the crank position sensor thats located in the distributor, not the cam shaft position sensor. Mine has 246,000 on it. The relay is about $25.

When I changed my timing belt, I also did the water pump and cam shaft seals. I plan to do all the fluids - front/rear diff, transfer case, and tranny in a week or two.

Add your comment to this topic!