Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 lesabre tranny

kriedy
05-21-2007, 07:29 AM
I was told I need new switcthes in my tranny. Are these hard to replace?

spinne1
05-21-2007, 08:29 PM
I was told I need new switcthes in my tranny. Are these hard to replace?

If you need the solenoids, they are not THAT hard to replace once you have access to them, but it will be a time-consuming and dirty job to get there. You must:

1. Check to see if you have clearance to remove the side cover without having to remove the tranny from the vehicle (I can't remember).
2. Drop the pan and drain the fluid.
3. Remove all the stuff above the side cover of the tranny for easier access (cruise control, exhaust connector pipe), OR perhaps access the side cover from the driver's side wheel well after removing the splash shields in the wheel well area, in which case you won't need to remove the stuff above the side cover.
4. Remove the left front axle from the tranny, which means either removing your wheel assembly entirely, or by removing the lower control arm from the frame (but leaving it connected to the strut/wheel) and swinging it back to remove the axle from the tranny (there may be a snap ring holding the axle to the tranny, but again I can't remember), then remove the axle from the wheel assembly to simply get it out of the way and also so it is not hanging. Consult a manual for the recommended procedure.
5. Remove the side cover by removing the bolts as well as the six nuts around the axle area.
6. Remove the wire harnesses from the switches (there will likely be four switches, three to the left and one to right).
7. Pry out the holding pins (shaped a little like wish bones) nearest to each switch.
8. Pull out each switch gently by wiggling back and forth and in a circular motion (make sure nothing comes out of the holes--like springs).
9. Replace.
10. Put the holding pins back.
11. Clean the metal surfaces where the gasket will go with soap/water and then acetone. You can reuse the gasket if it is the kind with the ribs and the ribs are in good shape. You need a new gasket for the area around the axle hookup where you removed the six nuts.
12. Put it all back together and torque it properly.
13. Refill with fluid and enjoy.

kriedy
05-22-2007, 07:07 AM
It sounds like more work than I can handle. I'll bring it to a shop, thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!