88 Honda Accord Struts

MWRWB
05-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi I Installed New Front Struts And Springs On My 88 Honda Accord Lxi, I Put Them Together Just Like The Old Ones I Took Off And Reinstalled Them, Once I Let The Car Off The Jack I Noticed That The Nut On The Top Of The Struts Had A Gap Under It And Is Seemed Loose Even Though It Was Tightened As Far As I Could, Did I Do Something Wrong? Can Anyone Help. Thanks

jeffcoslacker
05-20-2007, 09:26 PM
Did you check the condition of the bearing plates and any bushings up under the tower? Sometimes the bearing plates are such rusty junk they fall apart when you take the weight off them...

Seeing how rusty an '88 Accord can be firsthand by putting CV shafts in my friend's last weekend, it wouldn't surprise me.

BTW, both his coils were broken too...gotta wait, no more money now...

MWRWB
05-21-2007, 07:04 AM
Did you check the condition of the bearing plates and any bushings up under the tower? Sometimes the bearing plates are such rusty junk they fall apart when you take the weight off them...

Seeing how rusty an '88 Accord can be firsthand by putting CV shafts in my friend's last weekend, it wouldn't surprise me.

BTW, both his coils were broken too...gotta wait, no more money now...

hi thanks for the advise, i did check the plates and bushings, i also put new springs on it as mine were broke too. the only thing i can think is to shimm them as see how that works.

n8zdogg
05-23-2007, 03:26 PM
had the same problem on my 86 prelude the upper plates were trash, I had to replace them. You may need to tighten the nuts at the tops of the shocks once your car is on the ground. It should have a hex or allen type head on the shock shaft itself and then the standard hex bolt that holds the assemble together.

MWRWB
05-24-2007, 07:08 AM
had the same problem on my 86 prelude the upper plates were trash, I had to replace them. You may need to tighten the nuts at the tops of the shocks once your car is on the ground. It should have a hex or allen type head on the shock shaft itself and then the standard hex bolt that holds the assemble together.

HI THANKS FOR THE ADVISE, THATS PRETTY MUCH WHAT I HAD TO DO, EXCEPT I PUT A COUPLE SPACER WASHERS IN ALSO, I THINK I HAVE IT RESOLVED. THANK YOU RICK

Add your comment to this topic!